A selection of links and resources related to Dr. Stevenson’s Racial Literacy Work
- Racial Empowerment Collaborative website: www.recastingrace.com
- Forward Promise Webinar Series on Disrupting Dehumanization:
- Start At The Root: Disrupting Historical Dehumanization
- Return Me To Myself: Disrupting the Dehumanization of Our Culture and Spirits
- The Land Isn’t Barren: Disrupting the Dehumanization of Our Communities
- Justifiable Rage, Undeniable Tears: Disrupting the Dehumanization of Our Emotions
- No More Hashtags: Disrupting the Dehumanization of Our Bodies
- TEDMED Talk (selected for presentation on the TED Talk Network as well)
Stevenson, H. C. (2018). How to Resolve Racially Stressful Situations. Feb 21, 2018. If we hope to heal the racial tensions that threaten to tear the fabric of society apart, we're going to need the skills to openly express ourselves in racially … https://binged.it/2r8Puu5.
- Teaching Tolerance presents: A Conversation with Howard Stevenson
Books and scholarly articles
- Stevenson, H. C. (2014). Promoting racial literacy in schools: Differences that make a difference. New York: Teachers College Press https://www.gse.upenn.edu/news/howard-stevensons-new-book-merges-powerful-storytelling-empirical-data
- Shape-Up: Barbers Building Better Brothers
- Advancing Racial Literacy in Tech: Featuring Dr. Howard Stevenson. Berkman Klein Center for Internet and Society at Harvard University. Spring, 2020 https://cyber.harvard.edu/events/advancing-racial-literacy-tech
- New ways of measuring “The Talk”: Considering racial socialization quality and quantity
- Talking About Race with Teens
- Talking to Children After Racial Incidents
- Racism as Poison to Health, Healing and Heroes of BYMOC
- Village-Raising as Healing for Boys and Young Men of Color
- Panther Senses: Racial Literacy Helps Children Belong Without Having to Fit In
- My Brown Baby article: "What if Trayvon Had Come Back Home? We Must Teach Our Children How to Cope With Racism"
Coverage of Stevenson’s work in the media
- Penn Today Q & A with Howard Stevenson about Racial Threat
- Philly Mag article: "Penn Prof Helps Struggling Philadelphia Students"
- Dr. Stevenson on Starbuck’s Racial Bias Training
- Facing the Moment: Dr. Howard Stevenson on Managing Racial Conflict through Racial Literacy
- UPenn GSE interview: "Talking to Children After Racial Incidents"
- UPenn GSE: Dr. Stevenson's comments on University of Missouri/Yale Protest
- UP GSE article: "Penn GSE Researcher Howard Stevenson Investigates Racial Stress in Schools"
- The Penn GSE Alumni Magazine - Spring 2016 - "Facing the Moment"
- Would you have spoken up during Starbucks arrest of two black men?
- The Protective Power of Culture for Black Boys