The Association of Latino Professionals in Finance and Accounting (ALPFA) is the largest U.S. professional association building Latino business leaders. The organization, however, is OPEN FOR ANY STUDENT to take benefit from its events and extensive network. Being a member allows you attend local and national ALPFA events and expand your opportunities through professional development programs, networking with top business leaders, scholarship programs, career fairs, social events, seminars, case competitions and more.
The Brandeis IBS Chapter of ALPFA works to promote cultural awareness of Latin culture while offering a network for students regarding professional and academic opportunities in finance. It is the largest student chapter in the northeast region. The Brandeis IBS group won the ALPFA Student Chapter of the Year Award at the 2012 National Convention. Elana Givens, Senior Advisor to the Dean for Corporate Relations, has been an active member of ALPFA since 2005 and currently serves on the ALPFA Boston Corporate Advisory Board. The Brandeis IBS ALPFA chapter works closely with the Career Development Center, which helps its members become more aware of the career activities at the school.
Events and Highlights
In the past, the Brandeis IBS ALPFA chapter has:
- Organized and hosted panels and networking receptions with professionals from State Street, Ernst & Young, KPMG, Wellington Management, Columbia Management, Santander, Sodexo, Sun Life Financial, Bank of America, and CVS Caremark.
- Sent 60+ Brandeis students to the ALPFA Student Summit at State Street (largest ALPFA Career Fair in the northeast).
- Partnered with State Street and Safe Passage (a nonprofit that provides education to more than 550 children living in extreme poverty around the Guatemala City garbage dump) to raise money through a 5K charity race.
- Actively volunteered its members at ALPFA events, including the ALPFA Student Symposium at State Street, Annual Latina Summit, Networking with Wellington Management and more.
- Attended the annual ALPFA National Convention, resulting in full-time employment opportunities for many Brandeis IBS attendees.
In the 2014-2015 academic year, ALPFA hosted a networking event and panel of Brandeis alumni and other professionals.