BSF News & Events
- 2012-2013 Projects Announced! More info
- 2011 Projects Announced! More info
- BSF wins $25,000! More info
- Annual Report Published. Read it!
- Constitution updated April 2011. Read it!
- 2010 Project Updates Posted. More Info
- Stay up to date with Green Ideas for Brandeis. Sign Up
- Find out Sustainability Events and BSF Deadlines. Add GCAL.
- Check out real time energy use in the Energy Building Dashboard, a 2010 BSF Project.
We are excited to announce the following projects were funded for Fall 2011.
Greenbean Recycling Machine!
Project Leader: Taylor Early '15
Funded Amount: $15,968
Greenbean recycling machine aims to increase recycling rates and promote how easy and accessible recycling can be by installing a reverse vending machine in Usdan Student Center. The machine collects plastic and glass bottles as well as aluminum cans and offers a 5 cent deposit on those that fall under the Bottle Bill Law in Massachusetts, and the refund can be either sent to a PayPal account, a charity, or a WhoCash account (tbd).
It's A Breeze: Drying Racks
Project Leaders: Philip Lu '11, Katharine Glanbock '14
Funded Amount: $2,226.58
To cut energy used on laundry, drying racks of various shapes and sizes will be available for free through a rental program on a per semester basis. Public drying racks will also be placed in laundry rooms throughout campus for residents' use
Project Leader: Eve Markvardt '13
Windowfarm is a vertical, hydroponic growing system that allows for year-round growing in almost any window. Three windowfarms will be installed in the Village Quad and provide students with fresh herbs and vegetables for the use in shared kitchens.
The following project applications were invited to reapply in the next round of funding:
- Solar Hot Water: Have engineering and feasibility studies done with a more specific price range
- Pedal Power: Reduce cost of project, finalize logistical details, and clarify environmental and educational benefit
In addition students may start the 2012 application process by submitting an Expression of Interest/ Ideas Form. A BSF board member will work with you to develop your project to be successful. We hope by starting early in 2012 we can get many projects off to a great start. Project funding maybe available in Spring 2012 for the projects invited to reapply and new ideas in a rolling process (depending on how much is allocated of the remaining yearly funds and the ease of implementation the project). A more formal process will begin again in Fall 2012 with the newly collected funds and new ideas!
Have any questions? Contact email@example.com to e-mail the co-chairs.