Application Forms and Instructions
To be considered by the selection committee for the Mortimer Hays–Brandeis Traveling Fellowship, candidates must be nominated by the institution from which they received their undergraduate degree. The application deadline for 2014-15 is January 31, 2014. The candidate must submit the following items directly to his or her institutional representative:
- A completed application form.
- One official copy of each undergraduate and graduate transcript.
- A proposal, approximately five to seven pages in length (1,500 to 2,000 words), describing clearly the project and/or activities to be undertaken during the fellowship year, the goals and objectives of the project and how they will be achieved, and how the project relates to the candidate’s professional or other interests. The requirement for travel abroad should be clearly evident. The proposal must be typed, double-spaced, on 8½- by 11-inch paper.
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals who know the candidate and are in a position to discuss the merit and viability of the candidate’s project and the ability of the candidate to complete the project successfully. The letter of recommendation form is available online.
- A projected budget for the candidate’s fellowship year, including estimated travel and living expenses, as well as any special expenses related to the proposed project or activities, such as art supplies, special-equipment needs, and the like. The budget should include all funds and their sources that the candidate expects to use during the fellowship year. Any unusual categories of expenditure should be carefully explained.
For candidates submitting proposals in the visual arts or art conservation only:
- Fifteen images in color or black-and-white, as appropriate, of at least ten different, recent works. Visual materials must be submitted on a single, nonreturnable CD or DVD.
- Do not submit more than 15 individual images. The candidate’s name must be printed in indelible ink on the CD or DVD that is submitted. Candidates should include a typed list that identifies all images according to the size and art medium of each image.
- Motion picture project samples should be submitted on a single DVD of not less than two or more than five minutes in length.
Fellowship awards are confirmed no later than mid-May of the year in which the fellowship is scheduled to begin.