TRAINING GRANT APPOINTMENTS: Starting January 1, 2011, the use of xTrain became mandatory to electronically prepare and submit PHS 2271 Statement of Appointment forms and/or PHS 416-7 Termination Notices. Therefore, please note that the following only outlines Brandeis' internal paperwork process of appointing and terminating trainees from training grants. In addition, please be aware that individual departments may have differences in the process. Contact your department administrator if you have any questions.
For help with xTrain, please contact Rose Mariano at x67598 or Pam Endo at x62111 in the Office of Research Administration.
NEW APPOINTMENT to a Training Grant
- Postdoctoral candidate must complete three forms:
- Recommendation for Appointment of Postdoctoral Fellow and other Research Appointments (ORA form);
- New Hire/Rehire Form (NHF), a Human Resources dept. form; and
- Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification), a U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services form (completed when post-doc arrives).
- Graduate student must complete two forms:
- Graduate Student Payment Form (Payroll Department form); and
- Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification).
All forms must be completed for the initial year of the trainee's appointment.
Where to send?
A copy of the Recommendation for Appointment form, signed by the Project Director and the Department Administrator, must be sent to the Provost's office, the Form I-9 and New Hire Form must be sent to Human Resources, and the Graduate Student Payment Form should be sent to Payroll.
REAPPOINTMENT to a Training Grant
- Postdoctoral Candidate (in most cases) must complete two forms:
- Recommendation for Appointment of Postdoctoral Fellow and Other Research Appointments, which must be sent to Provost's office; and
- Employee Change Form (ECF), which must be sent to Human Resources. The ECF must document the extension of end date, the increase in salary (if any) and the change in funding source distribution (if any).
- Graduate student (with an increase in stipend) must complete two forms:
- Graduate Student Payment (GSP) form, a Payroll form; and
- RECOMMENDATION for CHANGE in GSAS STUDENT FUNDING, a GSAS form
- Graduate student stipends are set by the Graduate Program. There is no change in stipend level during a fiscal year. If there is a change from one fiscal year to the next, the Graduate Program will complete a Graduate Student Payment Form (GSPF) and a Recommendation for Change in GSAS Student Funding that will reflect the new stipend level; these forms will be forwarded to GSAS who will process the paperwork.
**The Project Director must re-appoint the trainee on xTrain, which is an entirely separate process. Contact ORA for assistance.
TERMINATION from a Training Grant (not to be confused with termination from Brandeis)
- Postdoctoral Candidate
- If a postdoc terminates from a TG and is keeping the same salary: complete PLDCN (Prospective Labor Distribution Change Notice) and send to Payroll.
- If a postdoc terminates from a TG and is getting an increase in salary: complete an Employee Change Form (ECF) because Payroll is increasing salary and changing the funding source (chart string).
- Graduate Student must complete two forms:
- If a graduate student is coming off a TG, need to complete a Graduate Student Payment (GSP) form which indicates a change in labor distribution and funding source; and
- Recommendation for Change in GSAS Student Funding.
**The Project Director must terminate the trainee on xTrain, which is an entirely separate process. Contact ORA for assistance.