For More Information
Refer to the Bulletin's "business" section for the most up-to-date information on requirements for the major, minor and for course descriptions.
Visit the Course Schedule for the latest course offerings in the business program.
Requirements for the Major
In addition to one prerequisite (Introduction to Economics), there are a minimum of 10 courses required for the major.
> Download the full list of core and elective courses (pdf).
> Please check the University Bulletin for up-to-date information on Business Major requirements.
The requirements are summarized below:
NOTE: You MUST earn a grade of "C" or above to count toward your major in your core and all Business Administration courses. “C-“ is the minimum grade you must earn in your Business and Society courses. No courses taken pass/fail will count towards the Business major.
Prerequisite for entry into business courses (one course)
- Survey of Economics (Econ 2a) or Introduction to Microeconomics (Econ 10a) gives you the conceptual foundation that is critical to understanding business.
- Financial Accounting (BUS 6a)
- Functions of the Capitalist Enterprise (BUS 10a)
- Organizational Behavior in Business (BUS 120a or PSYCH 150b)
- Marketing Management (BUS 152a)
- Introduction to Finance (BUS 71a or ECON 171a)
- Operations Management (BUS 172a)
Students who do not take quantitative courses in other departments at Brandeis (see pdf above) must take:
- Quantitative Methods in Business ( BUS 1b) (2 credit course)
Electives in the field of Business and Society (two courses)
Two courses from arts and social science departments covering themes such as:
- Communications, Commerce, Culture
- Environment, Health and Social Policy
- Law and Government
Electives in the field of Business Administration (two courses)
Two courses in advanced business studies, covering themes such as: