Brenda Meehan Social Justice-In-Action Grant
The Brenda Meehan Social Justice-in-Action Grant is a new grant awarded by the Social Justice and Social Policy Program. It is designed to provide support for student-organized events that bring together academic and activist perspectives on one or more social justice issues.
The scope and structure of these awards is open, though all proposals must include one or more events that are free to all members of the Brandeis community. Funds may be used for a variety of purposes, including expenses for off-campus speakers. The selection committee will consider any and all proposal ideas, but will favor those that:
- Incorporate both academic and activist social justice perspectives in meaningful ways.
- Include significant participation by Brandeis students, faculty and/or staff, as well as by one or more invited off-campus guests.
- Value collaboration between student organizations, and/or between undergraduate and graduate students, faculty and staff.
- Inform and/or link to ongoing initiatives that enable the proposed event to contribute to an enduring social justice impact on campus or in broader communities.
Apply for the Grant
To apply, please submit the following to Lauren Jordahl at email@example.com:
- Your name(s) and contact information, along with the names of any co-sponsoring clubs or organizations
- A one-paragraph summary of the proposed event(s)
- A brief (no more than 100 word) statement providing background on the relevant experience of each proposed off-campus speaker
- An itemized preliminary budget estimate (note that Meehan grants cannot exceed $1,000)
- A statement that clarifies, in 500 words or less, the organization and anticipated impact of the event(s), the full set of anticipated participants, and whether or not off-campus participants have already committed to take part. The selection committee understands that it is sometimes difficult to obtain commitments prior to receiving funding, so it is not required that you be entirely certain about the line-up of participating guests. However, your statement should list at least one alternative option for any off-campus participant who has not yet provided a firm advance commitment.
Read the Justice article about the Brenda Meehan Social Justice-in-Action Grant Program.