Click on the "Journal" link to the left to read about the successful relationships forged over the past year!
The WSRC Internship
The WSRC Internship Program: Student-Scholar Partners (SSP), currently coordinated by Kristen Mullin, was launched in the spring of 1997 as a project of the Women’s Studies Program at Brandeis University. Today, the Program continues as an important component of the Women’s Studies Research Center (WSRC). This paid internship opportunity is designed to give undergraduate students a unique learning experience by allowing them to work side by side with a Scholar or faculty member in an interdisciplinary environment.
Once accepted into the Program, students actively work with established professionals in their field of interest. Past projects have involved work in areas as diverse as art installations, book publications, translation, and scientific and social research. At the same time, Scholars benefit from the fresh perspective and insights of undergraduate students seeking to establish themselves in their own right. Some projects are even eligible for official University Transcript Notation.
For the 2011-2012 academic year, the SSP created a journal writing about their projects, the work involved in each, and the impact the projects will have upon completion. Please read the journal to gain a deeper understanding of the types of relationships the SSP fosters and to get a sense of some of the groundbreaking and creative work done by our scholars and students. To read the 2011-2012 SSP Academic Journal, click here.
We are pleased to present the complete list of project participants and work titles for the Spring 2013 semester:
- Pnina Abir-Am (Resident Scholar) and Victoria Lee (Student) - “Hiring and Firing Practices of Women Scientists during the 70's and 80's”
- Roz Barnett (Resident Scholar) and Clara Gray (Student)- “The New Soft War on Women”
- Mary Berg (Resident Scholar) and Ivonne Moreno (Student) – “Spanish to English Translation of Peruvian Blockbuster Classic Lit: ‘Aves sin nido’ by Clorinda Matto de Turner”
- Helen Berger (Visiting Scholar) and John Nunes (Student) - “Does Worshipping the Goddess Make You a Feminist?”
- Linda Bond (Visiting Scholar) and Kristina Pisarik (Student) – “One + One” Women Affected by War”
- Jennifer Coplon (Visiting Scholar) and Diana Wang (Student) – “Down But Not Out: Empowering Stories and Photos of Elders”
- Susan Eisenberg (Resident Scholar) and Zuri Gordon (Student) - “’On Equal Terms: Art Installation on Gender Equality”
- Fran Forman (Resident Scholar) and Maya Himelfarb (Student) – “Artistry and the Digital Collage”
- Janet Freedman (Visiting Scholar) and Susannah Feinstein (Student) - “Small Groups Around the Globe
- Florence Graves (Scholar) and Damiana Andonova (Student) – Schuster Institute of Investigative Research
- Lois Isenman (Resident Scholar) and Donna Vatnik (Student) – Science and Spirituality Weblog
- Brenda McSweeney (Resident Scholar) / Lucia Hsiao (Student) – “Gender Case Studies with United Nations: an e-book”
- Ruth Nemzoff (Resident Scholar) and Marielle Temkin (Student) - “Married Into: Making New In-Law Family Bonds Work”
- Phoebe Schnitzer (Visiting Scholar) and Emily Duggar (Student) - “Gender Issues in Achievement Concerns: Is “Fear of Success” Still With Us?”
The Student–Scholar Partnership Program is dedicated to establishing mentoring learning relationships between Scholars of the Women’s Studies Research Center and undergraduate Brandeis Students. We gratefully acknowledge the following generous donors for supporting our vision and work:
The Board of the Hadassah-Brandeis Institute (HBI)