Boren Fellowships for Graduate Students
The Boren Fellowship funds the intensive research and study of language proposals for U.S. graduate students in world regions critical to U.S. interest. The program promotes long-term linguistic and cultural immersion, and encourages experiences that last two semesters or more. Graduate students are encouraged to simultaneously pursue research relevant to their degrees, additional academic coursework, and/or internships. After graduation, all Boren Fellows complete a one-year federal service requirement by working for one of many government agencies.
The Academic Fellowships Team is here to support you through all steps of the application process. If you are interested in connecting with us to learn more, please contact us at email@example.com.
- U.S. citizens at the time of the national application deadline
- At least 18 years of age or older at the time of the national application deadline
- Planning an overseas program in a country outside of Western Europe, Canada, Australia, or New Zealand
- Planning to study in a country of which they are not a citizen
- Matriculated for the duration of their Boren Awards-funded program in an undergraduate degree program located within the United States
- Intent-to-Apply Deadline: Dec. 1, 2022
- Campus Deadline: Jan. 10, 2023
- National Deadline: Jan. 25, 2023
- Maximum Award Amounts
- 12-24 weeks: $12,500
- 25-52 weeks: $25,000
- There is the option to apply for up to $12,000 for domestic summer intensive language courses. If requested, the maximum total combined domestic and overseas award amount is $30,000.
- Non-Competitive Eligibility Status (NCE)
- NCE is a special status that facilitates streamlined hiring into federal positions. This means that Boren award recipients can be directly hired by the federal government without competing against the general public or having to go through the same formal hiring process as other candidates.
- Support from the National Security Education Program (NESP) in your job search after graduation