Medical/Disability Dietary Needs

Most students with medical/disability dietary needs can be provided for under customary operations in the dining halls (with proper signage, preparation, special stations.)  These students can work successfully with the Dining Services management and dietitian.

Students who need more than available, customary operations are encouraged to engage in the Medical/Disability Dietary Needs process.  This process includes both a review of medical documentation by our Health Center, and conversations between the university and the student regarding the potential accommodation agreement.

Medical/Disability Needs in Residence and Dining Halls

Usen Castle  

Brandeis undergraduates live in residential halls that reinforce class year identity and community. Students who have housing requests based on medical, psychological or disability needs are invited to communicate their needs, and will either receive a specific room assignment or be provided with guidance for how to select housing that will meet their needs. Because students move through different building configurations throughout their four years, need-based housing must be requested and approved each year. 


Meeting students' medical and disability needs in the residence halls occurs within the context of the campus-wide housing process for all students.

Students who wish to receive housing must indicate in MyHousing their intention to participate in campus housing.  Deadlines and more information about general campus housing can be found at

Requests and documentation that are submitted after the deadlines still receive consideration; however, the process will be delayed and options for housing assignments may be more constrained. 

The "Request" form and the "Medical Provider Form," required to document the request, are located at

Documenting a Request

We encourage students to talk with staff in the Department of Community Living to receive guidance regarding their request.

Direct documentation of a psychological, attention deficit or learning disability to:

Lois Finstein, Department Administrator
Brandeis Counseling Center
MS 061 Brandeis University
Waltham, MA 02454-9110
(781) 736-3731 (fax)

The "Medical Care Provider" form is at

Direct medical/disability documentation to:

Dr. Debra Poaster
Golding Health Center
MS 034 Brandeis University
Waltham, MA 02454
(781) 736-3675 (fax)