Ombuds Are Here For You
In the midst of these extraordinary times, the Ombuds staff remains available (contact us) virtually as a confidential, independent, impartial, and informal resource for all members of the Brandeis community including undergraduates and graduate students, faculty, staff, and alumni.
In our role as ombuds, we support the dignity, well-being and safety of each person who visits us by providing a safe space to talk confidentially and off the record about difficult situations and offer conflict resolution support.
The onset of COVID-19 has brought shifts in policy, academic and professional expectations, and changes in our communication and interpersonal engagement with social and physical distancing. As a team, we are available to the entire campus community. We are an outlet to process any type of challenging situation, a bridge to navigate campus resources, and to serve as a coach to help, support, and empower you.
As ombuds, we:
- listen, providing a respectful, and safe place for visitors to discuss issues
- help individuals to fully understand their concerns and consider all appropriate option
- identify and share University policies and processes
- advocate for fair process
- make referrals to campus departments or outside resources
- conduct informal conflict resolution through varied processes that meet all participants needs, including but not limited to, helping visitors consider all options for reaching acceptable solutions of their choosing, coaching visitors on self-help techniques, and facilitating difficult conversations
- provide feedback on trends to support Brandeis’ work to create an inclusive community
Our seasoned Ombuds team includes Don Greenstein, who is a reformed lawyer, bringing over 30 years of conflict resolution process and education experience. Elena Lewis, who has over 18 years of experience in higher education, extensive knowledge in the student academic and campus experience, racial reconciliation, and conflict resolution skills. We are excited to welcome a new Ombuds, Mike Rozinsky, who is a Master’s Candidate in Conflict Resolution at UMass Boston, and brings over 20 years of organizational development, conflict management, change readiness and management experience to our team.
We are available for the remainder of this academic year and during the summer to meet with visitors remotely by phone or Zoom at a time that works best for you. There are two options to schedule an appointment: 1) you can schedule an appointment online here or 2) or email email@example.com to meet with an Ombud outside of the listed meeting times. We can also be reached at the confidential Ombuds office phone line at 781.736.2265.
We are committed to working with all members of the Brandeis community through this challenging and unprecedented time.