Major and Minor
Summary of Requirements for the Major
- One Proseminar: ECS 100a (Proseminar: Modernism) or COML 100a (Comparing Literatures: Theory and Practice) to be completed no later than the junior year.
- Two Advanced Language and Literature Study: RUS 105a, 106b, 150b or 153a. At least one of the two must be a literature course conducted in Russian (RUS 150b or RUS 153b).
- Five Russian Studies Electives: At least two of these courses must be Russian Studies courses and at least one must be a non-Russian Studies, non-RUS course. Please consult the Bulletin for detailed information.
Senior Honors Thesis
Majors wishing to graduate with departmental honors must enroll in and complete RUS 99a and RUS 99b (Senior Thesis), a two-semester sequence. Before enrolling, students should consult with Undergraduate Advising Head David Powelstock and must arrange to be advised by a faculty member in the department who has agreed to direct the thesis.
Candidates for departmental honors must have a 3.50 GPA in all courses counting toward the major taken prior to the senior year. Honors are awarded on the basis of cumulative excellence in all courses taken in the major and the grade on the honors thesis, as determined by the department faculty. The second semester of the senior thesis, RUS 99b, may be counted toward the five required Russian Studies electives.
Summary of Requirements for the Minor
- One Advanced Language and Literature Study: RUS 105a, 106b, 150b or 153a.
- Four Russian Studies Electives: At least one of these courses must be a Russian Studies course and at least one must be a non-Russian Studies, non-RUS course. Please consult the Bulletin for detailed information.
Note: Additional courses with appropriate content may be counted as electives by student petition to Undergraduate Advising Head David Powelstock. To be assured of receiving credit for such courses, students must consult him before taking the course.