You may apply for loans at any point during a semester in which you are enrolled at least 6 credits. 

The following deadlines are merely for priority processing, and processing in time to meet tuition due dates.

Loan Application Due Dates

Priority Deadline: Materials submitted by this date will be processed and posted before the semester bill is run.

Final Deadline*: Materials must be submitted by this date in order for the loan to post before the tuition due date. 

*If your application is not received by the final deadline, your loan may not post to your account by that semester's tuition due date  

Fall Semester

Spring Semester

Summer Semester

Stafford Loan Application Instructions

  1. Fill out the FAFSA; and
  2. Complete the appropriate Federal Direct Stafford Loan Application:

    Education (MAT) students:
    2017-2018 Academic Year: Complete the MAT 2017-2018 Federal Direct Stafford Loan Application (pdf)
    2018-2019 Academic Year: Complete the MAT 2018-2019 Federal Direct Stafford Loan Application (pdf)
    Please Note: you must download/save the PDF in order to fill out the electronic signature section

    All other students:
    2017-2018 Academic Year: Complete the 2017-2018 Federal Direct Stafford Loan Application (pdf)
    2018-2019 Academic Year: Complete the 2018-2019 Federal Direct Stafford Loan Application (pdf)
    PLEASE NOTE: you must download/save the PDF in order to fill out the electronic signature section).
  3. Email the application as an attachment to Monique Howell at or mail to the address on the form.
    FAFSA Tips: the Title IV school code (Section H) is 002133 and all graduate students are considered independent and do not need to provide their parents’ financial information. Master’s and Ph.D. students may request up to $20,500 in Stafford Loans per year and postbaccalaureate students may request up to $12,500 in their first year only ($5,500 for dependent postbaccalaureate students).
  4. After submitting the FAFSA, the Department of Education will send you a Student Aid Report (SAR). When the SAR arrives, carefully check it for accuracy and make any necessary corrections. The GSAS office will receive this information electronically.
  5. If you are selected for verification, you may be asked to complete additional paperwork or submit supporting documentation such as proof of citizenship or income tax forms. You will be notified by the GSAS Office should you be required to do so.
  6. Once you have been approved for a Stafford Loan, the GSAS Office will send a loan letter to you outlining the amount and disbursement schedule for your Stafford Loan.
  7. Complete Entrance Counseling. To begin your Federal Direct Stafford Loan Entrance Counseling session online, go to the U.S. Department of Education's Direct Loan Servicing website and click the green "Sign In" button at the top left of the screen. You will need your FSA ID in order to sign in.  If you have not yet created your FSA ID, you should do so first.
  8.  Sign Master Promissory Note (MPN). Once you have completed Step #6, Entrance Counseling, you will need to sign your MPN.  
    Important: Please select "Brandeis University"; Do not select "Brandeis University-Graduate School of Arts and Sciences" on the Department of Education's website. Failure to sign your MPN will result in cancellation of this loan under federal regulations. If the cancellation of this loan causes a balance due on your account, a hold will be placed on your account. 
  9. Once you have fulfilled all loan and course registration requirements, you may then file for a refund of your credit balance through Student Financial Services. The earliest loan credit can be released from your account is 10 days before classes begin.