If you have questions or would like more information on Brandeis University trademarks and licensing, please contact:

Deborah Wieder
Director, Creative Services
Brandeis University
(781) 736-4222

Jake Garner
Learfield Licensing Partners
(317) 669-0820

Licensing FAQs

Please select the question below to reveal its answer.

Expand All / Collapse All

What is a trademark license?

A trademark license is a written legal agreement between the owner of the trademark (licensor: Brandeis University) and a manufacture/vendor (licensee). The license grants permission to the licensee to affix the licensor’s trademark(s) on a product(s). This license must be in place before the use of the marks.

Who needs an official license?

If your order will include a university mark in the design, it must be purchased from an official licensee.

If you wish to use a manufacturer/vendor that is not on the approved-vendors list, please contact Learfield Licensing before placing any orders.

What is a trademark?

Trademarks include the university name, seal, wordmarks, logos and other registered marks of Brandeis University. These marks have been developed to symbolize the university’s purpose, values and traditions, and may not be altered in any way.

What are the benefits of a trademark licensing program?

A trademark licensing program

  • promotes the institution in a positive and consistent manner.
  • protects all the institution’s trademarks, service marks and logos from unauthorized use.
  • protects consumers from inferior products bearing the institution’s marks.
Who must be licensed?

Any person, business, group or organization desiring to produce merchandise bearing Brandeis University trademarks, logos or verbiage is required to obtain a license.

Brandeis University offers an internal-use exemption from licensing fees — vendors producing items for use by student organizations or internal departments must obtain a license but will not be expected to pay royalties.

Are student organizations or campus departments required to obtain permission to use university names/marks/logos on items designed as giveaways or for fundraisers or internal use (staff T-shirts, plaques and so on)?

Yes. To allow the university to maintain and protect its reputation and image, permission must be obtained from the Office of Communications, and a licensed vendor must be used. Brandeis University offers an internal-use exemption from licensing fees — vendors producing items to be used by internal departments must obtain a license but will not be expected to pay royalties.

Student groups who do not wish to resell merchandise may obtain approval through the Office of Student Activities. Those who wish to resell merchandise must obtain a license.

What is Learfield Licensing?

Learfield Licensing is the licensing representative for Brandeis University.

It is responsible for administering the licensing program, including processing applications, collecting royalties, enforcing trademarks and pursuing new market opportunities for Brandeis.

I have a great idea for a Brandeis University product. Who do I contact?

Please visit the Learfield Licensing website.

What products can be licensed?

Most products will be considered for a license; however, the university reserves the right to refuse a license to any person, organization or business. The university will not license products deemed inappropriate or incompatible with Brandeis University’s values.

How can I tell if the product I am purchasing is a licensed product?

All licensed merchandise should have a label that reads “Officially Licensed Collegiate Product.”

The following names, logos and insignias are trademarked:

  • Brandeis University
  • Brandeis University Seal
  • Brandeis University Logo
  • Brandeis University Mascot, “Judge” design
  • Brandeis University Mascot, “Gavel” design