Health Center Hours

8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Closed for staff meetings as posted.

10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

*Summer/Holiday/Break Hours
Monday through Friday
10 a.m. to 12 p.m. and
1 p.m. to 4 p.m.

Call 781-736-3677 for appointments

Call Answering Service for urgent questions after hours at 781-239-1948.

Frequently Asked Questions

Expand All / Collapse All

Who can use the Health Center?

All currently enrolled undergraduate students and any graduate student who has paid the separateHealth Service Fee may be seen at the Health Center and/or Psychological Counseling Center.

What if I think my problem is an emergency and I can’t wait for the Health Center to open?

In cases of an on-campus emergency, call Campus Police at (781) 736-3333. They will send an officer and Brandeis Emergency Medical Corps (BEMCo) to assist you. BEMCo is Brandeis Universities volunteer student run emergency medical first response service with medical guidance from the Health Center Medical Director and operational support by the Chief of Brandeis Public Safety.

In cases of an off-campus emergency, call 911.

How do I get an appointment at the Health Center?
Call our office (781) 736-3677 during business hours to schedule an appointment.  We have same day appointment slots for urgent needs.
Who will see me?

We have registered nurses (RNs), nurse practitioners (NPs) and physicians (MDs). If you use our walk-in service, you will be seen by a RN. You can usually get an appointment with a nurse practitioner or physician within 24 hours.

Do I have to bring money or my insurance card when I visit the Health Center?
Your visit is covered by the Health Service Fee. If you need lab tests or  prescriptions, you will need your insurance card. We recommend that all students carry their insurance cards with their identification.
Can I get prescriptions filled at the Health Center?

The Health Center does not have a pharmacy but there are pharmacies within walking distance and we have delivery services set up for M-F pick up. Your own medical provider  or the Health Center staff can submit prescriptions to the pharmacy of your choice. Your medications will be covered according to your insurance policy. Prescriptions being picked up at the Health Center can be paid for with cash (correct amount) by credit/debit card, or by a check made out to the pharmacy. 

What if I think I need to see a specialist or go to an Urgent Care Center (UCC)?
If you have paid the Health Center Fee (all undergraduates have paid), you can be seen at the Health Center for an initial evaluation. If you are a graduate student and have not paid the Health Service Fee, you can be seen at an Urgent Care CenterYou do not need an appointment there. Please make sure your insurer considers the UCC an in-network provider. If you need a specialist, the Health Center can give you a list of local and/or Boston based recommended providers.
If I have a very private problem, will my parents/spouse/partner or professors be told?

No. Information is not shared with anyone—staff, faculty, family or friends—if you are over 18 years of age. Massachusetts law protects medical information regarding sexual health for students under 18, as well. Information about your care will only be given to someone with your specific written approval, except as required by law and in cases of danger or harm to yourself or others.

What would I go to the Health Center for?

Services include medical care for  illness or injury,  management of chronic conditions such as asthma, allergies, or diabetes, sexual and reproductive health such as contraception, emergency contraception, pregnancy tests, STI testing and assessment, gyn exams and issues, travel advice and immunizations,  routine, and employment physicals. A nutritionist and a drug and alcohol counselor are available to see patients by appointment.

I am applying to study abroad/peace corps. What do I do with the health forms?

Bring the forms to the Health Center to review them with a nurse and then make an appointment for a travel visit.

Can I get gynecological care at the health center?
Gynecological visits at the Health Center may be for routine care or for problems. Students are seen for annual visits, problems with menstrual cycles, yeast infections, sexually transmitted infections, contraceptive needs and other concerns. Visits can be with a nurse practitioner or a physician. If lab tests are done at these visits, the laboratory will bill your health insurance. 
Can I get birth control at the health center?

Yes, we prescribe contraception. Contraceptive choices include birth control pills, injections, vaginal ring, as well as non-hormonal methods like condoms and diaphragms. Long term reversible contraceptives, such as  IUDs and implants, are not available at the Health Center  but we can refer you to a provider in the area. We also have emergency contraception available.

At my friend’s school, they give her birth control pills to her. Why doesn't that happen here?
The Health Center is not licensed as a pharmacy. We do not accept samples from drug companies. We do provide students with prescriptions that they can fill at a local pharmacy. We often prescribe cost-saving generic pills, but will prescribe name brand medications as well.
Why Doesn't the Health Center provide notes for student absences?

The Brandeis Health Center does not routinely provide notes for students who miss class due to injury or illness. The experience of illness varies greatly among individuals. Health Center staff have objective criteria regarding contagion and the need for isolation for certain communicable diseases.  Legitimate reasons to stay home with more common, minor illnesses include decreasing exposure to others and to recuperate.  

Students who need to miss class due to injury or illness are encouraged by Academic Advising and the Health Center to notify their faculty, prior to class time, that they are ill or injured and unable to attend class.  They may do this by phone or email as appropriate.It is within the purview of the faculty to determine when or if the student will be excused from class or have deadlines extended for work due.

This policy is consistent with our commitment to maintain student confidentiality, encourage more appropriate use of health care resources, and support meaningful dialogue between teacher and student. The University encourages these conversations between student and faculty as a step toward adult independence in such matters. 

Students with serious medical conditions that last longer than a few days or who are hospitalized will need to contact the Office of Academic Affairs and the Health Center for advice on managing their academic obligations and their health conditions. In these serious situations, Academic Affairs can facilitate communication with faculty. The Health Center can help facilitate this process as needed, with written consent from the student, to discuss their  health information. In emergent situations health services will, with consent, assist with notification of the Office of Academic Affairs.

It is important for students to learn self-management of colds, flus, and other minor illnesses or injuries. Many of these simple illnesses or injuries do not require formal medical attention though the Health Center does assess, diagnose, treat, and educate students who need support with these minor illnesses.