The state of Massachusetts require that full- and three-quarter-time students report their health insurance coverage to the University each year. You may do this through SAGE or by downloading the appropriate insurance selection and reporting form and mailing the completed form to the Health Center.
The State requires all schools to offer a student health plan (SHP) to their 3/4 and full time students. For info on this years School Health Plans please visit gallagherkoster.com/brandeis.
Waiving the SHP by reporting alternate comparable coverage:
It is the students responsibility to assure that their insurance plan is comparable to the Brandeis SHP plan and meets the following requirements. Please review these requirements with your insurance broker ir agent to assure you have adequate coverage while at school. You may need to purchase a rider, additional coverage, or the SHP. It is important for you to consider that plans with high deductibles and co insurances place you at risk for incurring significant out of pocket expenses well beyond the cost of the SHP.
- The policy must be purchased through a U.S. based carrier company or U.S. based subsidiary. Foreign insurance plans (including Embassy-sponsored plans) cannot be reported per MA regulations.
- Plans must provide comprehensive coverage including preventive and primary care ambulatory services, emergency services, hospitalization, and maternity and newborn care benefits. These services must be accessible to the student in the area where the student attends school at reasonable costs.
- Out of state Medicaid programs and MA limited plans such as Mass Health Limited, Essential or Basic, Health Safety Net, or Commonwealth Care (>19 yoa) plans cannot be reported per MA regulations.
- The policy cannot impose annual limits on the dollar amount of individual coverage or impose exclusions for preexisting conditions.
- Mental health and substance abuse must be covered as any other illness or injury. This means that both in-patient and out-patient treatment must be covered and available in the area you are attending school.
- Injuries or illnesses that occur as a result of alcohol, illegal drugs or self harm must be covered as any other illness or injury.
- Womens health and preventive services must be covered.
- Prescription drug coverage must be subsidized with coverage in the area you are attending school.
- Emergency medical transportation if you become ill or injured while away from home or campus must be subsidized.
- Please review your coverage for in and out of network providers, deductibles, coinsurance, and copay expenses against the cost of SHP.
The State requires that any student who does not report comparable coverage *must* participate in the insurance program provided by their institution (SHP).
If you have financial barriers to purchasing the necessary health insurance please contact Student Financial Services. Please contact Brandeis Health Center's Insurance Coordinator with further questions or concerns at:
1 (781) 736-3681.
Selecting and Reporting Your Insurance to Brandeis
All students are encouraged to select or report insurance coverage online in the Sage self-service system. Spring and summer enrolling students must use the downloadable Health Insurance Selection and Reporting Forms. Please make a photocopy of the front and back of your insurance card, and submit the forms to the Health Center.
If you are unable to access Sage, print and complete the appropriate Health Insurance Selection/Reporting Form . We prefer that you mail us the completed form, as it is usually easier to read than a fax. Please print clearly.
For further inquiries or to mail the form contact:
Brandeis University Health Center
415 South Street, MS 034
Waltham, MA 02454-9110
If you prefer to fax the information, please print clearly. Our fax number is (781) 736-3675.