Selection/Reporting Form Due Dates for 2011-2012
To see the SHP Brochures go to gallagherkoster.com/brandeis
December 1 for Spring 2014 midyear enrollments and add-ons (QSHIP Coverage starts Jan 1, 2014-August 14, 2014).
June 1st for Summer 2014 enrollments (QSHIP Coverage June 1,2014-August 14, 2014).
The state of Massachusetts and Brandeis University require that full- and three-quarter-time students have health insurance that meets state regulations .
The state further requires that students report their insurance coverage to the University each year. You may do this through SAGE or by downloading the appropriate insurance selection and reporting form and mailing the completed form to the Health Center.
The State requires all schools to offer a student health plan (SHP) to their 3/4 and full time students. You may purchase and enroll in the Brandeis SHP or you may report your own comparable insurance (you may use your parents plan until your 26th birthday). Failure to report your comparable insurance or select the Brandeis SHP will result in a charge for the SHP on your bill and may result in a delay in the receipt of your insurance information. For info on this years School Health Plans please visit gallagherkoster.com/brandeis.
Undergraduate students have unlimited access to Brandeis Health Center through the mandatory student services fee. Graduate students must purchase access by selecting the health service fee when reporting and selecting their insurance. This fee is in addition to the student health insurance requirements and provides optional unlimited access to the on campus health center and 12 visits at the Psychological Counseling Center.
Alternate Comparable Insurance Provider
It is the students responsibility to assure that their alternate insurance plan is comparable to the Brandeis SHP plan and meets Massachusetts Division of Health Care Finance and Policy Regulations 114.6 CMR 3.00 and PPACA guidelines. The following list of key points of coverage should be reviewed with your insurance agent or broker to determine if you need to purchase additional coverage or the SHP to assure adequate coverage while at school. It is important for you to consider that plans with high deductibles and co insurances place you at risk for incurring significant out of pocket expenses well beyond the cost of the SHP.
You may waive coverage with the SHIP if you are reporting alternate comparable insurance. It is your responsibility call your insurance agent to assure that your plan meets the requirements. It may be necessary for you to purchase additional coverage or to select the SHIP provided through Brandeis.
Health Plan Requirements include:
- The policy must be purchased through a U.S. based carrier company or U.S. based subsidiary. Foreign insurance plans (including Embassy-sponsored plans) cannot be reported per MA regulations.
- Plans must provide comprehensive coverage including preventive and primary care ambulatory services, emergency services, hospitalization, and maternity and newborn care benefits. These services must be accessible to the student in the area where the student attends school at reasonable costs.
- Out of state Medicaid programs and MA limited plans such as Mass Health Limited, Essential or Basic, Health Safety Net, or Commonwealth Care (>19 yoa) plans cannot be reported per MA regulations.
- The policy cannot impose annual limits on the dollar amount of individual coverage or impose exclusions for preexisting conditions.
- Mental health and substance abuse must be covered as any other illness or injury. This means that both in-patient and out-patient treatment must be covered and available in the area you are attending school.
- Injuries or illnesses that occur as a result of alcohol, illegal drugs or self harm must be covered as any other illness or injury.
- Womens health and preventive services must be covered.
- Prescription drug coverage must be subsidized with coverage in the area you are attending school.
- Emergency medical transportation if you become ill or injured while away from home or campus must be subsidized.
- Please review your coverage, in and out of network status, deductibles, coinsurance, and copay expenses against the cost of SHP.
The State requires that any student who does not report comparable coverage *must* participate in the insurance program provided by their institution (SHP).
If you have financial barriers to purchasing the necessary health insurance please contact Student Financial Services. Please contact Brandeis Health Center's Insurance Coordinator with further questions or concerns at:
1 (781) 736-3681.
Selecting and Reporting Your Insurance to Brandeis
All students are encouraged to select or report insurance coverage online in the Sage self-service system. Spring and summer enrolling studnets must use the downloadable Health Insurance Selection and Reporting Forms. Please make a photocopy of the front and back of your insurance card, and send it to the Health Center.
If you are unable to access Sage, print and complete the appropriate Health Insurance Selection/Reporting Form to select QSHIP or report your alternate, comparable insurance information. We prefer that you mail us the completed form, as it is usually easier to read than a fax. Please print clearly.
Please mail the form to:
Brandeis University Health Center
415 South Street, MS 034
Waltham, MA 02454-9110
If you prefer to fax the information, please print clearly. Our fax number is (781) 736-3675.