DAAD Research Internships in Science and Engineering
The RISE (Research Internships in Science and Engineering) Germany program, funded by the German Federal Foreign Office, offers undergraduate students from North American and British universities the opportunity to complete a summer research internship at top German universities and research institutions.
Students are matched with a host university or institute according to their area of interest (biology, chemistry, physics, earth sciences, engineering, or a closely related field). German language is not required; the working language will be in English.
- Currently enrolled at a university/college in the United States, Canada or the U.K. as a full-time student in the field of biology, chemistry, physics, earth sciences or engineering (or a closely related field).
- Must be an undergraduate who will have completed at least two years of a degree program by the time of the internship placement and prove that you will maintain undergraduate status after the internship has taken place.
Eligibility LimitationsProgram officials have the option to exclude undergraduates whom they feel are unsuited, but this rarely happens.
Various universities in Germany
Amount, Duration of AwardStudents receive a monthly stipend of 750 euros (approximately $815) per month for up to three months to help cover living expenses. Host universities and institutes provide housing assistance and match students with Ph.D. student mentors. Recipients begin their internship between May 15 and July 10, and stay for a maximum period of three months (10 weeks minimum).
- Cover letter for each project applied to
- Curriculum vita
- Enrollment verification
- Letter of recommendation
Deadlines and Notifications
- Intent-to-apply deadline: Email firstname.lastname@example.org by TBA
- Final deadline: TBA
- Notification: Once your complete application is received, you will receive an email confirmation. By mid-February, all PhD students submit a list of preferences. Notifications are made at the beginning of March or later.