Services for Undergraduate Students
Your key connection to accommodations and support is through Student Accessibility Support. Please contact our office for support. If you are a graduate student, please visit our Services for Graduate Students page for more information about requesting accommodations.
Disclosing a disability and requesting accommodations are personal decisions. Brandeis does not require a student to disclose the existence of a disability, but students who wish to request accommodations must do so.
To request accommodations:
- Submit sufficient documentation of disability.
- Request a meeting with a member of the SAS team.
- Together, we'll determine appropriate accommodations for the university setting and prepare confidential letters for the student to take to each instructor.
Taking these letters to instructors serves as the official notification to faculty of their need to provide accommodations. More importantly, though, students are best served when they use the letters to facilitate communication and self-advocacy, and as a starting point for an ongoing conversation with their faculty members.
At the beginning of each semester, students must again notify the director of their new course schedules and request that letters be generated for that semester. If at any time a student wishes to seek further accommodations or modifications of the original accommodations, the student should make an appointment to explore their concerns.
Determination of Accommodations
Accommodations are based on two considerations:
- The specific nature of the student's disability.
- The educational or testing environment in which the student will be functioning. Each student's disability is considered on a case-by-case basis.
Grievance or Appeals Procedure
To initiate a grievance or appeals procedure, the student sends a letter naming the decision s/he wishes to appeal to:Disability Appeals Process Student Accessibility Support Usdan 130, MS 001 Brandeis University 415 South Street Waltham, MA 02453 email@example.com