Hazardous and Universal Waste

Federal, State and Local regulations govern the use, handling, discharge and disposal of potentially hazardous materials to the air, water and land. For specific handling information refer to the subparts of this section for guidance and further information.

Hazardous Waste

The State of Massachusetts has been authorized to enforce hazardous waste regulations. These regulations can be found on the Department of Environmental Protection website.

If you have a specific question about whether what you might generate is a hazardous waste please contact us.

Contact the Hazardous Waste Hotline at 781-736-2561 if you need to:

  1. Set up a hazardous waste storage area.
  2. Request additional labels or containers.
  3. Have hazardous waste picked up.
  4. Have biohazard material picked up.
  5. Have any special waste request.

Hazardous Waste Compliance Information

Weekly Hazardous Waste Area Inspection Form (Excel file, open and print)

Universal Waste

The following material are regulated as Universal Waste: 

Contact us before disposing of any of these materials. Collection areas and programs are already established on campus.

Special Materials

Recycling programs have also been established for additional material on campus. Contact us for information on recycling of the following:

Waste and Wastewater

The University discharges to the Massachusetts Water Resources Authority. The discharge permit is maintained by our department. Any questions regarding discharges should be addressed to the Department.