Requirements to Complete a Major
General Requirements to Complete a Major
To obtain a bachelor's degree in the School of Arts and Sciences, students must complete the requirements of a major. Students are encouraged to choose an intended major after consultation with a faculty adviser in that department or program by the end of the first year, and required to do so by the end of the sophomore year. Students who have not declared a major by the end of their sophomore year will have a registration hold placed on their records blocking registration for the fall term of their junior year.
Certain departments permit qualified students to offer a limited number of related courses in other fields toward their major requirements. This option is open to students able to present a purposeful and coherent course of study as judged by the department; such requests are subject to rigorous examination. Students should consult individual departmental listings.
Students may complete a second or a third major in addition to their primary major. Completion of the second or third major must take place within the normal time allotted for completion of the bachelor's degree (eight semesters for students entering as freshmen). The time to degree for transfer students is less and is determined based on the number of credits initially transferred upon entry. Students may declare a maximum of three majors. Declared majors appear on the student's transcript, and completed majors appear on the transcript and diploma.
All majors must be declared before the start of a student's final semester at Brandeis.
Requirements for majors offered by each department and program are listed in the subject area sections of the Bulletin.
Completion of a Major
To enroll in courses fulfilling major requirements, students must have received a C- or better in prerequisite courses.
A 2.00 GPA is normally required in courses offered for completion of requirements for a major.
School of Arts and Sciences
- Admission to the School of Arts and Sciences
- Academic Regulations
- Special Academic Opportunities
- Off-Campus Study
- Financial Aid
- Tuition, Fees and Expenses
- Payment Plans
- Refund Policy
Undergraduate Requirements Beginning Fall 2019
- Introduction to Degree Requirements
- Divisions of the School of Arts and Sciences
- Semester and Credit Requirements for Graduation
- Brandeis Core Requirements
- Double-counting Restrictions
- Brandeis First Year Experience
- Writing Intensive
- Oral Communication
- Digital Literacy
- Quantitative Reasoning
- Global Engagement
- Health, Wellness and Life Skills
- Undergraduate Requirements Prior to Fall 2019
- Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
- The Heller School for Social Policy and Management
- Brandeis International Business School
- Rabb School of Continuing Studies, Division of Graduate Professional Studies
- Courses of Instruction