The investigation or settlement of claims against the university should not be undertaken by a department, college or other unit. If you become aware of a claim or if someone presents a claim against the university, the claim should be referred to the Office of Risk Management.

Under no circumstances should a department, college or other unit on any campus pay money to settle a claim without the express approval of the Office of Risk Management and the Office of General Counsel.

Instructions for Completing a Public Injury/Property Damage Report

When operating a facility open to the public, things can happen; people may get injured, and property may get damaged. When an incident does occur, you and/or your staff should report all accidents/incidents immediately to the Public Safety at 781-736-5000. Public Safety will submit an Accident Report Form to the Office of Risk Management.

The Accident/Incident Report is not an admission of fault by the university. It is a means of gathering information surrounding the injury or damage that occurred. The details provided assist the Office of Risk Management in conducting a further investigation of the incident.

Your Responsibility:

  • Assess the situation and contact appropriate authorities as needed
  • Document the incident using the Accident/Incident Report
  • Show concern, but don't make any promises or financial commitments on behalf of the University
  • If possible, answer questions or direct them elsewhere. For example, if the harmed party asks “What is the University going to do about this?”, then your response would be, “My responsibility is to document the information.” Any questions should be directed to Public Safety and the Office of Risk Management.

Office of Human Resources and the Office of Risk Management's Responsibility:

  • Investigate the incident to determine if the university is legally responsible
  • If necessary, communicate with the “harmed” party
  • Involve appropriate campus personnel if a safety issue is identified