The parent corporate institution of Brandeis University, the Worcester Medical Institution, was incorporated under Chapter 28 of the Acts of 1849 of the Massachusetts Legislature.
In 1914 the name of the institution was changed legally to the Middlesex College of Medicine and Surgery.
In 1917, the University of Massachusetts, Inc. was organized under the General Laws of the Commonwealth.
By authority of Chapter 129 of the Acts of 1935, the name of Middlesex College of Medicine and Surgery was changed to Middlesex College.
By special act of the Massachusetts Legislature, Chapter 326 of the Acts of 1937, Middlesex College became Middlesex University and the title of the University of Massachusetts was turned back to the Commonwealth, and subsequently appropriated by the legislature for what had until then been the Massachusetts State College.
On March 13, 1947, the Secretary of State of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts officially recognized and gave legal validity to the action of the Board of Trustees of Middlesex University in voting to change the name of that institution from the Trustees of Middlesex University to Brandeis University.
Chapter 123 of the Acts of 1951 amended the charter to authorize the corporation to hold real and personal estate without limitation and to confer such degrees and honorary testimonials, as it might deem consistent with its general purposes.
Chapter 257 of the Acts of 1961 authorized the expansion of the Board of Trustees to a maximum of 35.
Chapter 371 of the Acts of 1968 authorized the expansion of the Board of Trustees to a maximum of 40.
Chapter 354 of the Acts of 1973 authorized the expansion of the Board of Trustees to a maximum of 50.