For More Information:
Make an appointment with a Pre-Health Advisor to go over your program of interest and its pre-requisite coursework.
Please call Academic Services at x63470 to set up a meeting with a Pre-Health Advisor.
What classes should I take?
Pre-requisite courses are designed to help you develop the skills necessary to succeed in professional programs. Different health fields and even different schools within the same profession require different pre-requisites.
The following is a general set of pre-requisites for the major health professional programs. This is not a comprehensive list. If there are specific schools you know you are interested in, please check their specific requirements. Please see a pre-health advisor for more information:
- 2 semesters General Chemistry with Lab
- 2 semesters Organic Chemistry with Lab
- 2 semesters of Biology (Bio 14a, Bio 15b) with Lab
- 2 semesters of Physics with Lab (Physics 10a/b is acceptable)
- 1 semester of Biochemistry
- 1 semester of Statistics (Math 8a – Intro Stats, Bio 51a – BioStats, or Psych 51a – PsychStats)
- 2 semesters of “English” or writing (UWS and a humanities or social science writing intensive course are often accepted; the writing intensive Biology Lab and writing intensive courses in a language other than English are not.)
- *1 semester of Calculus – some schools require 2 semesters of “college-level math”, in which case we recommend taking Calculus (Math 10a or 10b). Calculus is also a prerequisite for Physics at Brandeis. A score of 4 or 5 in AP Calculus can suffice for the Physics course.
Additional requirements for specific fields:
Medical School: The MCAT2015 now has a Psychosocial Behavioral component. For students applying to medical school 1 semester of Intro Psychology and 1 semester of Intro Sociology are recommended OR Psych 2a (Psychological and SocioCultural Perspectives on Health; designed by Brandeis faculty to specifically cover the MCAT topics, it is not a test-prep course. This course does not count towards the Psychology major requirements).
Veterinary School: Biology 16a (Evolution and Ecology); some vet schools require an animal nutrition class not offered at Brandeis.
Physician Assistant/Physical Therapy: 2 semesters of Human Anatomy and Physiology with Lab (Biol 43b Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy with Lab and Biol 42a Human Physiology without Lab are generally not sufficient to cover the required material); 2 or more semesters of Psychology (some programs require developmental psychology through lifespan, some require abnormal psychology). Please make an appointment with a Pre-Health Advisor to discuss ways to go about meeting these course requirements.
Nursing: There are different routes into the Nursing profession and the requirements vary depending on the path you choose to take. Please make an appointment with a Pre-Health Advisor to discuss the field and your options.