For More Information:
See the resources page for links to individual schools to check their requirements, or make an appointment with a Pre-Health Advisor to go over your program of interest and its pre-requisite coursework.
Please call Academic Services at x63470 to set up a meeting with a Pre-Health Advisor.
What classes should I take?
Pre-requisite courses are designed to help you develop the skills necessary to succeed in professional programs. Different health fields and even different schools within the same profession require different pre-requisites.
The following is a general set of pre-requisites for the major health professional programs. This is not a comprehensive list. If there are specific schools you know you are interested in, please check their specific requirements. Please see a pre-health advisor for more information:
- General Chemistry + lab (2 sems) [M, D, V, O, P, PA, N]
- Biology +lab (2 sems) [M, D, V, O, P, PA, N]
- Organic Chemistry + lab (2 sems) [M, D, V, O, P, PA, N]
- Physics + lab (2 sems) [M, D, V, O, P, PA]
- Biochemistry (1 sem) [M, D, V, O, P, PA, N]
- Psychology, Intro to (1 sem) [M, O]
- Sociology, Intro to (1 sem) [M]
- Mathematics* (Calculus or above) (2 sems) [M, D, V, N]
- English** (2 sems) [M, D, V, O, P, PA, N]
- Anatomy + lab (1 sem) [N, V, O, P, PA]
- Physiology + lab (1 sem) [N, V, O, P, PA]
- Microbiology + lab (1 sem) [N, V, O, P, PA]
- Animal Nutrition (1 sem) [N, V]
Key: Medicine (MD&DO) / Nursing / Optometry / Dentistry / Pharmacy / Physician Assistant / Veterinary
*A note about Mathematics courses: The math requirement can usually be fulfilled with either 2 semesters of Calculus or one of Calculus and one of either BioStatistics or PsychStatistics.
**A note about English courses: The English requirement can usually be fulfilled by taking UWS (University Writing Seminar) as well as either 1 other English course, or a Writing Intensive course in a Humanities department.