Dentists diagnose and treat problems with teeth and tissues in the mouth, along with giving advice and administering care to help prevent future problems. Most dentists are general practitioners, handling a variety of dental needs. Other dentists practice in any of nine specialty areas. Most dentists are solo practitioners, meaning that they own their own businesses and work alone or with a small staff. Some dentists have partners, and a few work for other dentists as associate dentists.
- Overview of the career (from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics)
- American Dental Association (ADA)
- List of US Dental Programs
- ADA Dental Career Mentoring Program
- Dental Admissions Test (DAT) Homepage
- Associated American Dental Schools Application Service (AADSAS)
- UMDNJ Gateway to Dentistry Program: a number of Brandeis students have participated in this ten-day, hands-on dental program, and it has helped them to solidify their interest in dentistry.