B-1 Visitor and Visa Waiver Program for Business

Individuals traveling to the United States to participate in professional conferences, conventions, seminars, or to pursue independent research at Brandeis University may be eligible to utilize the Visa Waiver for Business or a B-1 Business Visitor visa. Employment, whether it's full-time or part-time, is not permitted, and individuals may not collect a salary or stipend. Avocational study is permitted but must be short-term and for recreational purposes.

Visa Waiver for Business (WB)

Citizens and nationals from participating countries are eligible to enter the US for a period of 90 days or less without obtaining a visa. You will need to present a letter of invitation to the Customs & Border Protection (CBP) officer. This letter should include the purpose of the visit, dates of the visit and include a statement that there will be no salary paid by Brandeis University. Upon entry, please be sure that the CBP officer has stamped your passport with the designation “WB.” Travel documents particular to WB:

B-1 Business Visitor

Scholars who are not eligible for a visa waiver may apply for a B-1 non-immigrant, visitor visa. Citizens of China must also enroll in the Electronic Visa Update System. The duration of a B-1 visa is not permitted to exceed 6 months. When you apply for a visa the embassy or consulate, you will need to present an invitation from the Brandeis University department that you are visiting. This invitation should include the purpose of the visit, dates of the visit and that there will be no salary paid by Brandeis University.

Reimbursement of Travel Expenses

Brandeis University is permitted to reimburse visitors for travel expenses incidental to the visit. Reimbursement may be per diem or for individual expenses.


A scholar may be permitted to receive an honorarium payment for usual academic activities if the activity meets the following criteria:

  • The activity lasts no longer than 9 days, including weekends and holidays

  • The honorarium is for services for the benefit of Brandeis University

  • The visitor has not accepted such payments or expenses from more than 5 institutions over the past 6 months.

General Travel Tips

When traveling into the US as a visitor, be sure to bring:

  • Passport that is valid for at least 6 months into the future

  • Visa (if applicable)

  • Electronic Visa Update System (if you are a Chinese national)

  • Evidence that you plan to return to your home country (employment, family obligations,

  • If you will receive an honorarium, it is recommended that you bring a printed version of the visa regulations relating to honorariums. There have been reports that Customs and Border Protection Officials are unfamiliar with the subtleties of this regulation below:

    • INA § 212(q): Any alien admitted under section 101(a)(15)(B) may accept an honorarium payment and associated incidental expenses for a usual academic activity or activities (lasting not longer than 9 days at any single institution), as defined by the Attorney General in consultation with the Secretary of Education, if such payment is offered by an institution or organization described in subsection (p)(1) and is made for services conducted for the benefit of that institution or entity and if the alien has not accepted such payment or expenses from more than 5 institutions or organizations in the previous 6-month period.