Leaves of Absence

Faculty and staff may apply for leaves of absence covered under the Family and Medical Leave Act and/or other state or federal statutes governing employee leaves of absence. 

Leaves of absence may be paid or unpaid, depending upon the type of leave and the circumstances. A leave of absence may also affect an employee’s eligibility to participate in certain university benefit plans.

Staff Leaves of Absence

Due to Medical Reasons 

An employee who requires time off from work due to their own serious health condition or to care for an immediate family member with a serious health condition may be eligible for a leave of absence.  For more information, see the FMLA leave policy for staff and/or contact the benefits section of the Office of Human Resources. 

To apply for a leave, complete the FMLA leave application for staff (pdf) and submit to the HR benefits unit. A benefits staff member will determine if the employee is eligible for a leave and which medical leave category applies (i.e.m FMLA, maternity leave, medical) and will provide the employee with the appropriate forms.  The employee's supervisor will be notified of eligibility and pay status of the leave once documentation has been received and approved. 

The leave may be paid, unpaid or a combination, depending on the circumstances. The benefits staff will inform the employee of their pay status during an approved leave.  Paid sick leave benefits may include the use of accrued sick days, short-term illness benefit (exempt staff only), and the 60% extended illness benefit. In addition, the employee may be able to apply accrued vacation and personal time. Note that except for the 60% extended illness benefit, salary paid to the employee during the leave will continue to be charged to the employee's salary chartstring.

The benefits staff will complete the employee change form to place the employee on leave and return the employee from leave once he/she has been cleared to return.

An employee who is injured while at work should see the workers' compensation page for relevant information.

Other Types of Leaves

If an employee requires a leave of absence for personal, military or professional reasons, contact an HR employment specialist for more information.

Faculty Leaves of Absence

Due to Medical Reasons

The benefits unit of the Office of Human Resources coordinates with the appropriate dean's office when a faculty member requires a leave due to their own medical condition or to care for an immediate family member with a serious health condition.

To apply for a leave, complete the FMLA leave application for faculty (pdf) and submit to HR benefits unit. The benefits unit will provide the faculty member with the appropriate eligibility information as well as any necessary forms. The employee change form is completed by the academic budget and planning department (for faculty in the School of Arts and Sciences and the Brandeis International Business School) or Heller SIHP administration (for faculty in the Heller School).

Other Types of Leave

Faculty members are eligible for leaves of absence for research or sabbatical as described in the Faculty Handbook. For additional information on faculty leaves of absence, visit the Office of the Provost website or contact your department/academic administrator or dean’s office.

The employee change form is used to notify human resources staff of such leaves.