I-765 Supplemental Instructions

Please be advised that United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has their own set of instructions on completing the I-765 form for Employment Authorization for F-1 students seeking Optional Practical Training. Please note that we have not provided guidance on all of the questions asked on the Form I-765, only the questions that we are aware of that commonly cause issues for students.

It is recommended that you read the instructions for each part/item and write the information on the form. If you are unable to type the answer, please make sure you hand write the answer legibly after printing out the form. You must sign the form with your original signature - electronic signatures will not be permitted. 

Page 1 of 7

Part 1: Reason for Applying

F-1 visa holders: Check the box “Initial permission to accept employment” for OPT application and STEM OPT Extension application. If you lost your EAD and are applying for a new card, select "replacement of lost, stolen, or damaged employment authorization document NOT DUE to US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) error."

J-2 visa holders: If you do not have an EAD based on your current J-2 status, check the box for “Initial permission to accept employment.” If you were already issued an EAD under J-2 status and are renewing your EAD, check “Renewal of my permission to accept employment." 

Part 2: Information About You

Please enter your name as stated on your passport. If you have another name that you use, such as an alias, nickname, and/or your maiden name (name used prior to marriage - typically applies to women who are married and have changed their last name) - please list them in the “Other Names Used” section.

Page 2 of 7

Mailing Address

The address you are listing here should be valid within the next 3-5 months - USCIS will send mailing correspondences to this address. If you are using a friend's mailing address where you do not reside at, be sure to list their name in the “In Care of Name (if any)” line. If the address you provide is not the same as your physical address, make sure you select the “No” choice and then proceed to provide your current physical U.S. Address.

We request that you not use the Brandeis University ISSO mailing address unless you have first spoken with your ISSO advisor.

Other Information

Please answer these questions pertaining to you. If the Social Security Administration has not issued you a social security number on a card, please answer the questions and follow the instructions. You will only need to provide your parent’s names if you want to request a Social Security card. You will need to also list all countries of which you have citizenship. If you need to input additional information, you may utilize Part 6.

Page 3 of 7

Please answer all questions up to question number 27. 

For question number 27, if you are applying for:

  • Pre-Completion OPT (work authorization before you graduate), you will need to answer (c) (3) (A)

  • Post-Completion OPT (work authorization after graduation), you will need to answer (c) (3) (B)

  • STEM OPT Extension, you will need to answer (c) (3) (C)

  • J-2 Work Authorization, you will need to answer (c) (5)

For those who are applying for the STEM extension, please answer Question 28 (28.a, 28.b and 28.c)

Questions 29-31 do not apply, so you may leave them blank. 

Page 4 of 7

Please make sure you check off the appropriate box in the Application Statement. You will need to provide your contact information. 

Please note: Page 4, part 3 of the I-765 form states "You must file form I-765 while in the United States." The instructions for the I-765 state, "If you knowingly and willfully falsify or conceal a material fact or submit a false document with your Form I-765, we will deny your Form I-765 and may deny any other immigration benefit."  

Page 5 of 7

Please sign the application by hand. Electronic signatures will not be accepted by USCIS. You will also need to provide the date. Complete the interpreter's contact information only if you had an interpreter or agent complete this form on your behalf.

Page 6 of 7

Complete this page only if you had an interpreter or agent complete this form on your behalf.

Page 7 of 7

Complete this page if you have additional information to provide, such as additional countries of citizenship, employment authorization you received in the form of Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training, and/or previous SEVIS ID numbers you held.

An example of reporting a previous SEVIS ID number is answering questions 1 - 4:
  • 1 is based on your name.

  • 2, answer if you have an A-number

  • 3, Page Number 3, Part Number 2, Question 26,

  • Previous SEVIS ID N0009999111

An example of reporting past work authorization is indicating:
  • Page Number 3, Part Number 2, Question 27,

  • Current SEVIS ID N0011111111, Master's Degree Previous CPT: Part-time 1/15/2018- 5/15/2018, Full-Time 5/20/2017-8/15/2017

  • Previous SEVIS ID N0009999111, Bachelor’s Degree Previous CPT: Part-time 1/15/2013- 5/15/2013 Previous OPT: Post-Completion 05/21/2015-05/20/2016

If you need extra space to complete any item within this application, use the space provided in Part 6. Additional Information or attach a separate sheet of paper. Type or print your name and Alien Registration Number (A-Number) (if any) at the top of each sheet; indicate the Page Number, Part Number, and Item Number to which your answer refers; and sign and date each sheet.