Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Optional Practical Training (OPT) is an extension of F-1 student status that allows international students to work in the United States in order to gain practical experience in their major field(s) of study.

OPT can be done as Pre-Completion (before completion of your Brandeis degree program) or Post-Completion (after completion of your degree program). Pre-Completion OPT can be authorized full-time or part-time and any OPT time completed before program completion will subtract from the total 12 months of OPT available. Part-time pre-completion OPT time will subtract at half the rate. You must maintain full-time enrollment during pre-completion OPT. Post-Completion OPT is authorized full-time.

Please note that only students who have earned or are enrolled to earn a Brandeis degree are eligible for Practical Training. Students enrolled in the postbaccalaureate programs are not eligible for OPT.

PhD candidates should schedule an appointment with an ISSO advisor before submitting the ISSO online application.

Apply for OPT

F-1 visa holders may be eligible for OPT if they have been enrolled as a full-time student for at least two consecutive terms. OPT is not specific to an employer, therefore you do not need a job offer in order to apply. The earliest USCIS will accept a post-completion OPT application is 90 days before your program end date.

ISSO highly recommends that you apply as early as possible for post-completion OPT, as the application can take up to 5 months for processing once submitted to USCIS. Current average processing times for applications are listed on the USCIS website.

To complete the Optional Practical Training application, please click on the ISSO Portal button in the sidebar. 

After submitting the online application to the ISSO, you will be issued a new I-20 with a recommendation for OPT. Once you receive your new I-20, you will assemble your paper OPT application to mail to United States Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS). For immigration purposes, you will continue to be considered an F-1 student visa holder and a Brandeis University student as long as you maintain your F-1 OPT status. You must be physically present in the U.S. at the time of submitting the complete OPT application to USCIS.

You are permitted to remain in the U.S. while your OPT application is pending. However, after your program end date, you may not work on or off campus until your OPT has been approved and you have received your EAD card.

Refer to our OPT application checklist to make sure you have a complete application mailed to USCIS. You may refer to our supplemental guide in addition to USCIS's instructions on completing the USCIS form I-765 for Employment Authorization.

Title screen: Preparing Your OPT Application

Preparing your OPT Application

Title screen: Post-Completion OPT Filing & Responsibilities

Post-Completion OPT Filing & Responsibilities

Post-Completion OPT Timeline

USCIS will accept your application only within this time range (between 90 days before completion date and 60 days after). 

View a visual representation of post-completion OPT timeline

Helpful Information

OPT FAQ Videos