The course is available to GPS DL registered students (new and returning):
- Two weeks before the term begins, or,
- Within 1-2 business days of your registration, if you registered near the end of the registration period
The course is available for newly accepted students who plan to register for their first course in a future term:
- The first seven days of each month outside of the start-of-term periods
Access instructions for registered or accepted students:
- Log into LATTE at http://latte.brandeis.edu.
- Enter your UNet ID and password.
- Scroll down to the "Special Course" block at the bottom-center of your MyLATTE page.
- Click on the course title to enter the course: DL Orientation for GPS Students.
- Follow the instructions found near the top of the course homepage.
If you believe you should have access to this course and cannot view it, please contact our office.
"I enjoyed how Brandeis offered this course. I have taken other courses online at other universities, and I have never had a course introducing the system like this one. It definitely helps make online learning more comfortable by engaging the student to become more familiar with the online format." - Summer 2011 Participant
"This is my first online course with Brandeis, I enjoyed this learning tool. The information took me step by step through what I can expect in the distance learning program. Also, the weekly checklist provided me with a roadmap to help accomplish my goals for my classes. Thank you for providing this orientation." - Summer 2011 Participant
DL Orientation Course
Prepare to learn online with GPS!
Graduate Professional Studies (GPS) offers a non-credit, self-directed distance learning (DL) orientation course, available to registered students at no cost near the start of each term. The course also is monitored during the first seven days of each month outside of the start-of-term periods, for newly accepted students who plan to register for their first course in a future term and wish to complete the Orientation in advance of the start-of-term offering.
The course covers topics such as the GPS DL approach, our standard course structure, LATTE features (our learning management system), online learning techniques, and links to related resources.
By completing this course, you will be able to:
- Prepare for the first week of your GPS DL course by ensuring that you have all of the required materials and access to the appropriate systems such as Brandeis email, LATTE, and SAGE.
- Find and adhere to important student policies and procedures, including those related to Academic Integrity.
- Participate effectively and appropriately in GPS DL course discussions, with a strong understanding of our DL approach and our expectations of students.
- Navigate a GPS DL course in LATTE to find specific types of course materials and activities.
- Use LATTE efficiently to post to discussion forums, track unread posts, submit assignments, retrieve graded work, and edit your profile settings (including your time zone as applicable).
- Access an Elluminate (Blackboard Collaborate) room, configure your audio/video, and practice communicating in the tool.
- Apply time management techniques and other best practices to increase your online learning success.
- Work effectively within online student groups.
- Find resources and support in the areas of LATTE, UNet, online libraries, advising, and other student services.
Are you taking your first GPS DL course?
We require those students who are taking their first GPS DL course to complete this orientation before the start of their first term. This will increase your readiness and confidence in taking DL courses with GPS.
Have you already taken a GPS DL course?
We encourage students who have taken one or more GPS DL courses in the past, but who have not yet completed this course, to do so before their next term begins, in order to find helpful instructions and tips covering:
- LATTE features
- Time management suggestions
- Best practices to increase your online learning success
- Elluminate, a synchronous tool used in many of our DL courses
We estimate that the course will take you approximately 3 to 6 hours to complete.
In advance of taking the course, all students are welcome to review our distance learning orientation pages on our web site.
We hope that you enjoy the course and come away prepared to succeed online!