Frequently Asked Questions

Dental and Medical

When may I sign up for medical/dental benefits?

Employees have 31 days from their date of hire or eligibility to submit forms for enrollment in a medical and/or dental plan. Those who fail to enroll within the first 31 days of hire may enroll during the open-enrollment period in November, with an effective coverage date of Jan. 1. Employees who lose coverage through another source may enroll at Brandeis the day after the other coverage expires. They must complete an enrollment application and provide loss-of-coverage documentation within 31 days of the event.

When may I make changes to my plan(s)?

You make changes to your plan(s) during open enrollment, held every November. Employees who experience a qualifying event may be eligible to make certain changes in coverage at other times during the year. Call your HR consultant for details.

What is a qualifying event?

IRS regulations under Section 125 of the Internal Revenue Code require that once you have made your pre-tax election(s) for coverage, you may not change them during the plan year unless you have a qualifying change in status or other permissible event.  Qualifying events include:

  1. Change in legal marital status, including marriage, death of spouse, divorce, legal separation, or annulment
  2. The birth, adoption or placement for adoption of a child;
  3. Death of a spouse or dependent;
  4. You, your spouse or eligible dependent has a change in job status that effects eligibility for benefits coverage under the University's plan or a plan of your spouse or eligible dependent's employer;
  5. Covered dependent reaches the age limit for coverage making him or her ineligible for coverage;
  6. You, your spouse or eligible dependent moves out of or into your medical plan's service area;
  7. You, your spouse or eligible dependent begins or returns from an unpaid leave of absence.

How do I add dependents to my plan?

Dependents may be added during open enrollment in November or when one loses coverage from another source. In the latter case, employees must complete an enrollment application and provide loss-of-coverage documentation within 30 days of the event. Dependents may also be added as a result of birth, adoption or marriage (birth, adoption and marriage certificates must be provided). Coverage will be effective on the date of the qualifying event.

When do my medical/dental benefits terminate?

Medical and dental benefits end on the last day of the month in which employment terminates or an employee is no longer eligible. If an employee voluntarily cancels due to enrollment in another plan, coverage will end when the new coverage starts. Employees must provide proof of coverage.


What is COBRA, and how does it work?

COBRA (an acronym for Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act) i
s a law that allows employees and their dependents who lose their health benefits the right to continue the coverage provided by their group health plan for limited periods of time under certain circumstances, such as voluntary or involuntary job loss; reduction in hours worked; transition between jobs; death; divorce; and other life events.

Flexible Reimbursement Accounts

How do I get reimbursed for my flexible reimbursement account?

Reimbursement forms are available on the Human Resources Forms page. Completed forms should be sent directly to Crosby Benefit Systems, along with your original receipts.

How can I find the balance in my flexible reimbursement account?

Visit and log into your account using the information Crosby provided at the beginning of the year. You may contact Crosby by phone at 1-800-462-2235.

May I change the amount I elected for my flexible-reimbursement account?

You cannot change election amounts during the plan year unless you have a qualifying change in status or other permissible event.  If you experience a change in status, or other permissible event, you must contact the Benefits section of the Office of Human Resources within 31 days of the event; otherwise, you must wait until the next open enrollment period.

What happens if there is money remaining in my flexible reimbursement account(s) and I have no additional bills to submit for reimbursement?

Per IRS regulations, if you do not spend all the money in your health care and/or dependent care flexible reimbursement account(s) for the calendar year, you forfeit the amount remaining.

What is the cut-off date for submitting receipts for reimbursement?

The cut-off date for the Health Care Flexible Spending Account is April 30 each year for prior plan-year expenses. Example: April 30, 2015, is the deadline to submit reimbursements for receipts incurred in 2014.

The cut-off date for the Dependent Flexible Spending Account is March 31 each year for prior plan-year expenses. Example: March 31, 2015, is the deadline to submit reimbursements for receipts incurred in 2014.

Life Insurance

How do I change my life-insurance beneficiaries?

Complete a Change of Beneficiary form, available by calling (781) 736-4468.


In accordance with the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 (FMLA), it is the policy of the University to grant up to 12 weeks of family and medical leave (“FMLA leave”) to eligible employees during any “rolling” 12 month period measured backward from the date an employee uses any FMLA leave. The leave may be paid, unpaid, or a combination of paid and unpaid, depending on the circumstances.
It is also the policy of the University to grant an employee up to 26 weeks of leave in a single 12 month period to care for a current member of the Armed Forces with a serious injury or
illness incurred in the line of duty. The 12 month period begins on the first day the employee takes such leave. The leave may be paid, unpaid, or a combination of paid and unpaid, depending on the circumstances.

Please see the FMLA policy and the FAQs below for more details.

FMLA FAQ for Staff (PDF)

Workers Compensation

What is the process for reporting a work-related injury?

Notify your supervisor immediately so that a Supervisor's First Report of Incident Form may be completed and submitted to Human Resources.

How do workers compensation-related medical bills get paid?

Forward all bills to Workers Compensation Representative at MS 118 so they may submit them to Brandeis University's self-insurer, CCMSI, for payment.

How and when does an employee receive compensation payments?

An employee out on workers compensation leave is paid in the following manner:

  • A full day's pay for the day the accident occurs (paid by Brandeis University).
  • Five days' sick time from the day after the injury through the fifth day of injury (paid by Brandeis University). 
  • Sixty percent of employee's average weekly wage beginning on the sixth day after the injury (paid by CCMSI). Note: If the employee is expected to be out of work for longer than five days, the employer is required to submit a report to the Massachusetts Department of Industrial Accidents.

For detailed information, see Workers Compensation.

Tuition Remission

Can I audit a class?

As a general rule, you may not audit classes.  All courses taken under the tuition remission program must be for credit and will be placed on an official transcript from Brandeis University.


How do I open a requisition?

Contact your Human Resources recruiter, who will assist you in getting started.

Why isn't my job requisition posted?

Once your recruiter has the necessary approvals from sponsored accounting and/or the budget office, your requisition will be posted. You will receive an e-mail when the requisition is opened.

Where is my requisition posted?

Once your requisition has been approved and opened, it will be posted to the Human Resources Web site. Human Resources also maintains contracts with some free online job-posting sites. Check with your recruiter for a current list. Additional postings may be arranged at the posting department's expense.

I have a candidate for my job opening. When may I extend a verbal offer to that candidate?

Your recruiter will let you know when your Fair Search Report has been approved. If your offer is within the approved salary range, you may extend a verbal offer at that time.

Whom do I contact for a letter verifying my employment?

You may contact HRIS at (781) 736-8411 or Please specify the following information in your request:

  • Employee ID (if known)
  • Employee First Name and Last Name
  • Company requesting information
  • Company Representative
  • Company Address
  • Company Contact (phone)
  • Preferred method of delivery (mail or office pickup)