Deadline for winter travel, October 30th.
Deadline for summer travel, February 1st.
Undergraduate Research Grants
Undergraduate Research Awards
The Schusterman Center for Israel Studies is pleased to announce the availability of small research travel grants for undergraduates.
Grants will vary in size, depending on project scope, length of trip, air fare, and project budget. The grant offered ranges from $500 to $1500.
Who is eligible?
Brandeis undergraduates studying Israel in the social sciences, the humanities, and the arts are eligible to apply. Members of all undergraduate classes may apply, with preference given to non-seniors.
Projects funded by travel awards:
The Schusterman undergraduate travel awards will fund undergraduate research projects connected with a senior project, departmental honors thesis, or independent research project. The awards will not fund trips to Israel for the purpose of language study.
Applicants must submit a proposal that includes:
- An application cover sheet, which can be downloaded here
- A concise description of the proposed travel research project with a well-reasoned summary of the project’s objectives, and how the project fits into the applicant’s program of study
- Dates of trip
- Budget, including airfare
- Applicant’s qualifications to conduct this research, including Hebrew and/or Arabic language skills
- Provide names of other granting agencies to which you have applied.
Letters of Recommendation:
- Two letters of recommendation from Brandeis professors who have taught the applicant in a course. Both letters should comment on the feasibility of the proposed project as well as the applicant’s ability to conduct the research.
- A Brandeis University official or unofficial transcript
Applicants may submit their proposal to JoAnn Leavitt, Schusterman Center for Israel Studies, MS 060. By email to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject heading: "Undergraduate Research Award".
The submission deadline for summer travel grants is February 1st, winter travel is October 30th.
The Schusterman Center undergraduate travel research award recipients will be selected by our Faculty Advisory Committee. Applicants may be called for an interview at the committee’s discretion. Recipients must notify the Schusterman Center of their acceptance within ten days of winning the award.
Upon completion of the research, the award recipient will be expected to submit a report documenting the process and findings of the research.