Steps for Beginning On-Campus Employment


Step 1. Obtain a Social Security Number Letter from ISSO

Once you are offered a position, if you do not already have a Social Security Number, your supervisor will need to complete and sign an Intent to Hire/International Student Employment form.  You should bring this form to the ISSO to create a Social Security letter (allow at minimum 3-5 business days for ISSO to provide the letter).  For additional information about social security numbers, please see the SSN Frequently Asked Questions section.

NOTE for J-1 students:  You will need an to receive a "J-1 on-campus work authorization letter" from the ISSO.  Bring your "New Hire/Re-Hire" form or fellowship award letter to an ISSO Advisor to request ISSO employment authorization.  Students who are sponsored by an outside agency (i.e. Ford Foundation, Fulbright, Tibet Fund, etc.) must receive written permission from their sponsoring agency for the particular job they have been hired for to request ISSO permission to work on-campus.

Step 2. Obtain your Social Security Number

Please see Social Security Number Information on the ISSO website for info on obtaining your SSN.

Step 3.  Complete the I-9 Form

It will take about a week to receive your social security card.  After you receive your card, you will need to complete an I-9 Form in order to be added to the Brandeis Payroll system.  You will need all of your immigration documents (I-20/DS-2019, passport, I-94 card),  your social security number, and required employment forms to complete your I-9 form.  For full details about required forms, please consult the Student Employment web site.

Note for J-1 Students:  You will need to bring the ISSO "J-1 On-Campus Employment Authorization" letter to the individual who completes your I-9 Form.

I-9 forms for student employment are completed in Student Financial Services with the exception of:

GSAS Fellowships: I-9s are completed at the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences

Heller or IBS Fellowships: I-9s are completed with your department administrators

Step 4. Obtain Your Employment Eligibility Card (Blue Card)

Student Financial Services will issue you an employment eligibility card and other applicable tax forms once you have completed the I-9 Form.