A “dependent” is defined as the spouse and/or unmarried child (under the age of 21) of the primary F-1, J-1 or H-1B visa holder.

Children born in the United States, or spouses or children who are permanent U.S. residents or citizens, are not considered “dependents” for immigration purposes.

To help answer some of your questions about bringing your family to the United States on a dependent visa, the ISSO has prepared the following information:


Dependent Visa / Employment Information


Invitation of Dependents (Online Application)


Send / Receive Your Visa Document via eShipGlobal


Dependent Health Insurance


Schools and Child Care