Entering the U.S. by Land: Paper Form I-94


If you enter the U.S. by land, make sure you have the appropriate required documents. The U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer will issue you a Paper Form I-94, a small white card stapled into your passport.

If you are entering the U.S. by air or sea, you will be issued an Electronic Form I-94 instead of a Paper Form I-94.

If There is a Mistake on your Form I-94 or Passport Stamp

Your Form I-94 (paper or electronic) or passport stamp needs to contain certain information.  Look for one of the following:

  1. For those entering in F-1 or J-1 (student or scholar) status, the Form I-94 and the stamp in your passport should have the notation "F-1 - D/S" or "J-1 - D/S." This indicates that you have been granted admission for "duration of status" (D/S). Duration of status means that as long as you are maintaining your F-1 or J-1 status, you may legally remain in the U.S. until the end of your academic program (as listed on your Form I-20 or Form DS-2019).
  2. For those entering in H-1B status, the stamp in your passport and/or Form I-94 (paper or electronic) should have a "valid until" date that corresponds to the ending date on the H-1B approval notice.

If your Form I-94 (paper or electronic) and/or passport stamp (if you have one) are not marked correctly according to your status, you can request a correction if you are still at the port of entry.

Otherwise, if you do not notice a mistake while you are still at the port of entry, please come to the ISSO as soon as possible so that we can advise you on how to receive a correction. For more information, please see Correcting I-94 Errors.