Now offering MAT programs in Mathematics and Chinese!
(Obtain an initial licensure to teach Mathematics or Chinese in a secondary school system)
Be certified to work with students with moderate disabilities!
(Receive dual certification through our elementary program)
Find the teacher within you
Our Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) is a year-long intensive program which prepares students with strong liberal arts backgrounds to become highly qualified, licensed classroom teachers. The program combines two summers of study on the Brandeis campus with a nine-month internship in a public elementary or secondary (middle or high) school or a Jewish day school, in the Boston area. We offer:
- A program organized around principles of social justice
- World class faculty and diverse, engaged, questioning student body
- A cohort model that provides support, camaraderie, dialogue and room for risk-taking
- Academic rigor and emphasis on inquiry providing intellectual power and excitement that you will carry into your own classroom.
- Personalized attention
- An induction program providing continued support during your first years of teaching
- One of the few programs in the nation offering rigorous study of teaching in the context of Jewish education
- Generous scholarship support
The Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program leads to the initial license to teach in Massachusetts, which has reciprocity with the other states and the District of Columbia. Candidates for the MAT degree are expected to satisfy all of the requirements for initial teaching license in their field, including the Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure (MTEL).
Public Education-Elementary Concentration prepares beginning teachers with the capability and vision to succeed in today’s schools and to play key roles in creating the schools of tomorrow.
Jewish Day Schools/DeLeT Concentration prepares future educators to serve the Jewish community as teacher-leaders and models of Jewish learning and living.
Secondary Concentration provides opportunities to deepen subject matter knowledge through working with outstanding disciplinary scholars on the Brandeis faculty in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Math, English, History, Chinese and Tanakh.