MAT Open House
Wednesday, November 9, 9am-5pm
Receive an additional license in moderate special needs!
(additional coursework and practicum hours required)
"Teaching Future Teachers" by Dr. Marya Levenson in the Loomis Chaffee Magazine
"The ABC's of SPLERT" by Prof. James Morris
Fascinated with Physics? While enrolled in the Brandeis MAT program, you may have the opportunity to participate in cutting-edge research.
The Martin A. Fisher School of Physics at Brandeis University has an international reputation for excellence in research; it is among the highest ranked in the United States on the basis of publication citations. The department was recently awarded a major grant from the National Science Foundation to establish a Materials Research Science and Engineering Center. Students in the department are engaged in a wide variety of research programs, including astrophysics, biological physics, condensed-matter physics, high-energy particle physics, and theoretical physics; topics include string theory, liquid crystals, DNA, polymers, elementary particles, distant quasars and much more.
Some of the news highlights include the following:
- The department has 28 active grants in FY 2012 with expenditures totaling $4.13M, and generating a record $1.12M in overhead for the University.
- We are an NSF funded Materials Research Science and Engineering Center (MRSEC) — by far the smallest physics department among the 20 MRSEC centers nationwide.
- We recently received an NSF-IGERT training grant for theory — a unique collaboration between physics, mathematics, computational neuroscience and the international business school.
- This year we have made a senior faculty appointment of Gabriella Sciolla from MIT, who joins the Experimental High Energy Physics Group. They and their students are now actively taking data from the Large Hadron Collider (for which they built part of the ATLAS detector) searching for the Higgs boson and new physics beyond the standard model.
- Our department now has the highest ratio of women (Professors Bulbul Chakraborty, Gabriella Sciolla, Azadeh Samadani andAparna Baskaran) to men in full-time tenured or tenure track faculty positions of any of the top 100 research universities in the U.S.
Download a sample Secondary MAT Year at a Glance (PDF)