Disability Accommodations in Campus Housing

The process for requesting and acquiring disability accommodations in campus housing is managed by The Disability Accommodations Committee for Housing, a collaboration between Student Accessibility Support and Community Living.

We grant reasonable accommodations to students who qualify under the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Fair Housing Act. All accommodation requests must be submitted and approved annually.

Read on to learn the process for requesting disability accommodations in housing. Expand the drop downs on the lower part of this page to find answers to some frequently asked questions.

Fall 2023 Accommodation Requests


All required forms/documentation must be submitted by March 15, 2023* to be processed in time for Fall housing selection.

*Please note- if any deadlines are missed related to housing applications, housing selection, or accommodation requests, we may not be able to implement approved accommodations before fall move-in. 

If you are requesting disability accommodation in housing, you MUST also fill out the Housing Application on your MyHousing Portal (available between February 8 and March 15, 2023). Disability accommodation requests are not complete until you receive a selection number in the housing selection process, which requires an active MyHousing Application.


  1. Submit the Disability Accommodation Student Request Form. Provide as much detail as possible about the accommodations you need and how they will help you have equitable access to campus life. You must do this for every housing selection period you are requesting accommodations for, even if you have previously had accommodations approved. Previous requests and approvals will not carry over automatically. 
  2. Tell your medical/mental health provider what you are requesting and ask them to submit supporting documentation.
    • Off-campus medical/mental health providers must submit a completed, detailed Provider Verification Form. The medical provider cannot be a family member. The accommodations requested should be the same on the Student Request Form and the Provider Verification Form. If your provider is unable to fill out the form for any reason, email us at  housingaccommodation@brandeis.edu for instructions on securely uploading other forms of medical documentation; we will send you a secure link. Please do not email any pieces of documentation as  attachments. You may also request the form as a PDF that your provider can fill out in hard copy. We can provide a fax number upon request.
    • Brandeis Counseling Center providers cannot complete the Provider Verification Form. Instead, they should submit letters describing the length of their relationship with you, your diagnosis if applicable, your disability symptoms, and how they impact you on campus. Email us at  housingaccommodation@brandeis.edu for instructions on securely uploading a letter from the BCC. Please do not email any pieces of documentation as attachments.
    • Please note; there are specific documentation guidelines for requests for Emotional Support Animals. The Brandeis Counseling Center cannot submit documentation specifically for ESAs.
    • The Brandeis Health Center cannot provide any form of documentation for campus housing requests.
  3. Contact your medical/mental health provider to ensure they have submitted documentation.
  4. Once the Student Request Form and provider documentation have been received, the Committee will review your request. The committee does not review requests until both forms are submitted for a student.
  5. Once your request has been reviewed, you will receive an email from the committee with your accommodation status. This email will include what accommodations you were approved for, what accommodations requests are not approved (if any), and will notify you if more information is needed before a decision can be made.
  6. After receiving an approval, Community Living will reach out to you to select from available spaces that meet your approved accommodations.
If you have questions about this process or need assistance, please email housingaccommodation@brandeis.edu.