Academic Services

Academic Accommodations

Student Accessibility Support provides a range of supports to undergraduate and graduate students with disabilities. Academic accommodations are discussed here. Visit our non-academic accommodations page for dietary, housing, parking/Accessible Transport Van accommodations.

Requesting Accommodations

The ADA defines a person with a disability as a person who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities. This definition is broad enough that many students who do not think of themselves as students with disabilities may still qualify under the law. We encourage you to reach out if you aren't sure whether you might qualify. 

Disclosing a disability and requesting accommodations are personal decisions. Brandeis does not require you to disclose the existence of a disability, but requesting accommodations does require that you disclose your disability. Be sure to contact SAS as soon as possible to ensure all your accommodations are delivered in a timely manner.

To request accommodations, please follow these steps:

  1. Contact SAS
    Call the Academic Services main phone line at 781-736-3470, or email to schedule a meeting with an SAS Accessibility Specialist. This is the first right step if you aren't sure if you should request accommodations, want to know more about what SAS provides, or have questions about documentation. If you are ready to submit documentation and don't need to talk with a Specialist first, you may skip to the next step. 
  2. Submit sufficient documentation of a condition that qualifies as a disability under the ADA
    One of the important steps in receiving accommodations at Brandeis is to submit documentation of your condition. For more information on what kind of documentation we are looking for and how to submit documentation, please check out our Providing Documentation webpage.  When you are ready to submit, email and ask for the secure documentation link to upload your information. Please do not submit medical documentation via email.
  3. Schedule a meeting with an Accessibility Specialist
    After submitting your documentation, please call the Academic Services main phone line at 781-736-3470 or email to schedule a meeting with a Accessibility Specialist. They will discuss possible accommodations as part of an interactive process.  Accommodations are based on two considerations: the specific nature of the student's condition and the educational environment in which the student will be learning. Each student's accommodation requests are considered on a case-by-case basis. SAS customizes accommodations that are necessary to ensure each individual student's access to courses.

After the meeting with an Accessibility Specialist, SAS will prepare a digital accommodation letter for you to send each instructor, and will help coordinate other supports as necessary. Sending these letters to instructors serves as the official notification to faculty of their need to provide accommodations. Letters also help facilitate communication and serve as a starting point for an ongoing conversation between students and faculty members.

Other Pertinent Information for Graduate Students

Grievance or Appeals Procedure

If a student has a concern about a disability accommodation that was denied or only partially granted by Student Accessibility Support (SAS) or a concern about how a disability accommodation (approved by SAS) is being implemented in the classroom, that student may be able to file a grievance.

For more information, see the Accommodation Grievance Process on the Office of Equal Opportunity website.

University Ombuds


University Ombuds is a confidential, independent, impartial and informal resource for all members of the Brandeis Community including undergraduates and graduate students, faculty, staff, and alumni. The Ombuds support individuals by providing a safe space to talk confidentially about difficult situations. The Ombuds meets personally with individuals to actively listen to concerns and discuss options and resources for conflict resolution. The Ombuds can help individuals evaluate options to address concerns, help identify others who can help, explain University policies and procedures, facilitate communication between people, discuss ways to resolve problems informally, and explain options for taking action.