Frequently Asked Questions
Massachusetts Paid Family & Medical Leave Act (MAPFML) took effect on January 1, 2021. Brandeis has developed a set of comprehensive and consistent paid family and medical leave benefits that best support employees and their families. Our primary goal is always to put the health and well-being of you and your family first. We know taking a leave of absence can be stressful and confusing, and we have done our best to simplify the process while giving you expanded leave options that support a work-life balance.
The Standard, our third party leave administrator, manages family and medical leave absence requests.
Massachusetts Paid Family and Medical Leave Act Overview
What is Massachusetts Paid Family and Medical Leave (MAPFML)?
Mass Paid Family and Medical Leave is a Massachusetts law that provides paid family and medical leave benefits to eligible workers living and working in Massachusetts *. Under MPFML, eligible employees can take leave:
- For your own serious health condition as certified by a healthcare provider, including illness, injury, or pregnancy/childbirth (up to 20 weeks of paid medical leave)
- To bond with your child during the first 12 months after birth, adoption, or foster placement (up to 12 weeks of paid family leave)
- To care for a family member with a serious health condition as certified by a healthcare provider, including illness, injury, or pregnancy/childbirth (up to 12 weeks of paid family leave)
- To care for a family member who was injured serving in the armed forces (up to 26 weeks of paid family leave)
- To manage affairs while a family member is on active duty (up to 12 weeks of paid family leave)
1. Who's eligible for MAPFML?
2. What is the maximum amount of leave I can take?
3. What is the paid benefit I will receive from MPFML?
4. How is MAPFML different from FMLA (Family and Medical Leave Act)?
5. Where can I find more information about MAPFML?
7. When am I eligible for a paid medical leave?
8. What medical leave benefits am I entitled to?
9. Do I need to elect benefits?
10. Who administers these benefits?
11. Can I use any of my earned paid time off to provide salary continuation during the seven-day waiting period for medical leave benefits?
12. Can I supplement my MA PFML paid leave with my earned paid time off?
13. What is family leave?
14. Can I take an FMLA leave, and then take an MAPFML leave for the same reason?
15. Can I use any of my earned paid time off to provide salary continuation during the 7-day waiting period for family leave benefits?
16. Can I supplement my MA PFML paid family leave with my earned paid time off?
17. Who are covered family members?
18. Is it possible to take family medical leave on an intermittent basis?
19. If I begin my parental bonding leave prior to my child’s first birthday, could my leave continue beyond my child’s first birthday?
20. Is it possible to take bonding leave on an intermittent basis?
21. How is pregnancy/birth defined under the MAPFML?
23. I’m expecting twins in 2023. Do I receive additional leave time for multiple births under MAPFML?
24. My partner also works at Brandeis. Do we both get bonding leave under the MAPFML?
25. What is the maximum time off and pay for someone who is on bed rest prior to delivery?
26. Can family members other than parents, such as a grandparent, take bonding leave under MAPFML?
27. Under what situations can I take family leave related to active military service?
28. Where do my benefit payments come from?
: These frequently asked questions are based on our current understanding of MAPFML, its regulations, and The Standard’s administrative processes. Details are subject to change, and we will provide updated information as applicable.