Frequently Asked Questions
Beginning Jan. 1, 2021, the new Massachusetts Paid Family and Medical Leave Act takes effect. Brandeis has assessed these new regulations and worked hard to develop a set of redesigned, comprehensive and consistent paid family and medical leave benefits that best support employees and their families.
To facilitate these changes, The Standard will oversee these new leave programs to ensure a consistent application of the policy across all leave programs. The Standard's private plans will ensure you receive the best possible leave benefits — which are above and beyond the state's requirements — while providing an easier, integrated and more streamlined application process.
Please note: These frequently asked questions are based on our current understanding of the MAPFML, its regulations and The Standard's administrative processes. Details are subject to change, and we will provide updated information as applicable.
1. What is the Massachusetts Paid Family and Medical Leave law?
2. Who is eligible under the MAPFML?
3. What is the maximum amount of leave I can take?
4. What is the paid benefit I will receive under the MAPFML?
5. How does the Massachusetts Paid Family and Medical Leave law differ from the Family and Medical Leave Act?
6. Where can I find more information about the Massachusetts Paid Family and Medical Leave law?
7. What is the cost of the MAPFML program?
8. When am I eligible for a paid medical leave?
9. What medical leave benefits am I entitled to?
10. Do I need to elect benefits?
11. Who will administer these benefits?
12. Can I use any of my earned paid time off to provide salary continuation during the seven-day waiting period for medical leave benefits?
13. What is family leave?
14. Can I take an FMLA leave, and then take an MAPFML leave for the same reason?
15. Can I use any of my earned paid time off to provide salary continuation during the seven-day waiting period for family leave benefits?
16. Who are covered family members?
17. When do benefits to care for a sick family member begin?
18. Is it possible to take family medical leave on an intermittent basis?
19. If I begin my parental bonding leave prior to my child's first birthday, could my leave continue beyond the child's first birthday?
20. Is it possible to take bonding leave on an intermittent basis?
21. How is pregnancy/birth defined under the MAPFML?
22. If I took maternity or paternity leave in 2020, am I eligible for additional leave time in 2021 under the new MAPFML?
23. What is the Massachusetts Parental Leave Act?
24. I'm expecting twins in 2021. Do I receive additional leave time for multiple births under the MAPFML?
25. My partner also works at Brandeis. Do we both get bonding leave under the MAPFML?
26. What is the maximum time off and pay for someone who is on bed rest prior to delivery?
27. Can family members other than parents, such as a grandparent, take bonding leave under MAPFML?
28. Under what situations can I take family leave related to active military service?
29. What should I do if I’m planning to initiate a leave later this year that will extend into 2021?
30. Who do I notify if I’m already planning a leave that will begin after Jan. 1, 2021?
31. Where do my benefit payments come from?