2022-2023 Faculty Activity Report
Welcome to the Faculty Activity Report (FAR) website, which provides general information about the FAR process, including instructions on how to complete the 2022-2023 FAR. Last year the FAR moved from Sage (a system which is being retired) to Workday: this year, you will (again) be directed to Workday to complete the FAR.
New this year is a systems integration between the Workday FAR and our new Faculty and Researcher Directory, located on the ScholarWorks platform. Over recent months, many of you have worked with members of the ScholarWorks Core Project Team to refine your new Brandeis profile as part of the new Directory’s roll-out. This year, two sections of the Workday FAR - the "Scholarship" and "Awards, Honors and Fellowships" sections - will be pre-populated with entries from the new Directory/ScholarWorks.
Before you begin: recommended sequence for completing the FAR
We strongly recommend that your first step in completing the FAR is to visit your new Brandeis profile to review and, where applicable, to update your profile’s "Scholarship" and "Honors" sections. This will be especially important for faculty who did not do this in response to the roll-out's email prompts. Updates will appear in the FAR once the daily systems integration has taken place.
Access the FAR in Workday
To access the Activity Report in Workday, use either of the following methods:
- You will receive an email from Workday notifying you that “A Task Awaits You” to complete the Faculty Activity Report. Click the link in the email, log into Workday, then simply click the orange 'Get Started' button.
- If you are already logged into Workday, click the task in your Workday inbox, then click the orange 'Get Started' button.
An important note about Saving and "Timing Out"
Workday will time out after 20 minutes of inactivity. To avoid losing work click the 'Save for Later' button if you will be away from the session for any length of time. The unfinished report will remain in your Workday inbox until you complete and submit it.
Activity Report Navigation
There are just three sections to navigate through the Faculty Activity Report in Workday. The Workday “Job Aid” contains screen shots of each step.
1. Welcome to the 2022-2023 Faculty Activity Report
The majority of the Faculty Activity Report consists of the questions listed in this section. Simply scroll through to answer each question. You may type directly into the provided text boxes or cut and paste from another source except for certain boxes in the "Scholarship" and "Awards, Honors and Fellowships" sections, which will be pre-populated. You may download a copy of the questions, should you want to review and prepare your answers prior to completing the FAR in Workday.
Specific items of note as you complete the questions:
Continued from Last Year
- Links to view data provided by the Registrar and the Office of Research Administration are embedded in the sections on instructional activities and grants, respectively. When clicked, each link will open a new browser tab where you can review your data. Use the browser tabs you have opened to toggle between the data and back to activity report screen to comment as needed, and continue your report.
New This YearAs a first step to completing the FAR, faculty should visit the new Faculty and Researcher Directory on the ScholarWorks platform to make updates to the "Scholarship" and "Honors" sections:
- Directory/ScholarWork’s "Scholarship" Section
Faculty may add scholarship entries in the Directory/ScholarWorks themselves; to edit or delete existing entries, you should contact email@example.com who will make the requested changes on your behalf. The scholarship that will migrate will be scholarship/creative work published, performed, exhibited etc during the FAR reporting period.
- Directory/ScholarWork’s "Honors" Section
Faculty may add, edit or delete entries in this section themselves. However, to ensure that relevant entries for the FAR reporting period migrate as part of the daily systems integration, they will need to include a date expressed in a specific format:
- A single date - for example, date awarded - should include both month and year (MM/YYYY);
- A date range - for example, a fellowship that runs from 2022-2024 – will need to include all years and should be expressed as 2022-2023-2024.
- A User Guide is available for reference (see Honors under the "About" section).
It may take up to 24 hours for any changes made in the Directory/ScholarWorks to be reflected in your Workday FAR. Deleted entries in general may take longer to appear in the Workday FAR than added or edited entries. (Edits made over the weekend may not appear until the following Monday.)
You do not need to complete your activity report in a single sitting. Click “Save for Later” at the bottom of your screen so you can pick up where you left off when you return. The link to the report will remain in your Workday inbox.
2. Upload a Current CV
Upload your CV by selecting the file or dragging and dropping a file into the open box. Click "Next".
3. Review and Submit
Please review your answers carefully before clicking the “Submit” button. You will not be able to edit your report after it is submitted. To make a change before you submit, simply go back to the “Welcome to the 2022-2023 Faculty Activity Report" section via the left navigation menu, and scroll through to edit your answers. When you have completed your changes and are ready to submit, return to “Review and Submit” via the left navigation menu. You may also “Save for Later” if you are not quite ready to submit, and the report will remain in your Workday inbox until you submit it.
Once you click "Submit," the activity report is locked, and the final report is shared with your department or program head and Dean’s Office. You will receive a confirmation email that will include a PDF of your final report.
Activity Reports are due by March 31, 2023.
For questions relating to your activity report content or deadlines, contact your Dean's office:
- School of Arts and Sciences: Kathleen McMahan, 781-736-3477
- Heller School: Joanne Beswick, 781-736-3931
- International Business School: Kelly Forde, 781-736-7149
For technical questions, email the Helpdesk: firstname.lastname@example.org.