Office of the Provost

Grants Awarded for Innovations in Teaching and Research

July 25, 2018

Dear Colleagues,

I am delighted to share the grants awarded in late spring through our program to support innovations in teaching and research at Brandeis. $500,894 was awarded to 43 projects selected from 94 proposals. The recipients and the titles of their projects follow below.

Research innovation awards are aimed at early stage research to initiate innovative scholarly inquiry and creative activities that have the potential for significant, sustained impact. Teachinginnovation grants focus on innovations in teaching and student assessment, with special preference given to proposals that look at ways of addressing issues of diversity and inclusion, and to team teaching/interdisciplinary course design. Additional teaching innovation funds were offered this year for development and implementation of the new General Education requirements.

I want to extend my sincere gratitude to the members of the three committees that had the challenge of evaluating all of the proposals submitted. Research Committee: Gannit Ankori, John Burt, Katy Graddy, Ed Hackett (chair), Sarah Lamb, Cindy Thomas, John Wardle. Teaching Committee: Carol Damm, Susan Dibble, Deb Garnick, Sarah Lamb, Paul Miller, Karen Muncaster, Dan Perlman. Teaching/General Education Committee: Joel Christensen, Paul Miller, Karen Muncaster, Dan Perlman, Elaine Wong.

Congratulations to all those funded!

Sincerely,

Lisa M. Lynch, Provost