Sad News: David Gil

March 11, 2021

Dear Colleagues,

I am sad to share that David Gil, Professor Emeritus of Social Policy at the Heller School, passed away peacefully at his home on Saturday, March 6 at age 96. He leaves behind his twin sons Daniel and Gideon, their wives Deborah Sassoon and Lisa Huber, and two grandchildren, Michael Gil and Liana Huber.

Professor Gil received his D.S.W. at the University of Pennsylvania in 1963 and was working as a social worker when he met Heller Professor David French. Gil was about to accept another job offer when French convinced him to lead a major project at the Heller School to develop a child welfare training program. Gil became an assistant professor in 1964 when the Heller School was a mere five years old, and stayed on the faculty for 46 years, soon receiving tenure and becoming one of the most influential, emblematic, and beloved figures in the school’s history.

David was lauded for his profound thinking on the theory of social change, the societal roots of violence and oppression, and developing policy strategies to respond to universal human needs. Among his publications are Violence Against Children: Physical Child Abuse in the United States (1970), Unravelling Social Policy: Theory, Analysis, and Political Action towards Social Equality (1973), and Confronting Injustice and Oppression: Concepts and Strategies for Social Workers (1998).

“He would not let a conversation go by without reminding everyone of our collective responsibilities to build a new social order,” says Professor Larry Simon.

David was also a widely popular teacher and an unparalleled mentor, chairing 85 student dissertations and serving as a committee member on 47 more. For the Heller School’s 50th anniversary event in 2009, just prior to his retirement, a group of alumni published a 71-page collection of essays written in honor of David Gil. The dedication reads, “To David: For your commitment to a socially-just world where every person, everywhere, lives with dignity.”

He was also deeply involved in wider Brandeis service, including serving as chair of the Faculty Senate from 1989 to 1992 and as faculty representative on the Brandeis Board of Trustees from 1990-94 and 2005-2007.

Professor Lisa Lynch fondly recalled David’s hospitality, warmth and good advice during her time as Heller dean, calling him, “The de facto historian of Heller.” She adds, “I deeply respected his critical analysis of social policy, the world of work, social change and social justice. His comments at seminars, faculty meetings or Monday mornings at Coffee with the Dean always left me reconsidering my views on what it means to effect social change.”

I’m told that condolence notes have been pouring in at the Heller School from colleagues and former students with fond memories of Professor Gil. I am grateful to Lisa Lynch and several other members of the Heller School faculty for their contributions to this memoriam.

Sincerely,

Carol Fierke
Provost