Information for Faculty
The Writing Center can provide tailored workshops and classroom visits for Brandeis faculty. If you would like us to develop a specific workshop for one of your courses or come to your class, please let us know. We are always open to collaboration, and look forward to your ideas.
In addition to visits and tailored workshops for your course, the Writing Center is also pleased to offer the following support for faculty:
One-on-One Consultations with University Writing Program faculty to discuss writing assignments, feedback, course design, and ways to set up writing support in your home department.
Faculty Workshops are also available on request on the following topics:
- Feedback and Assessment: How to grade efficiently and effectively.
- Ideas for Low-Stakes Writing: Incorporating everyday writing activities and exercises to the classroom.
- Effective Assignment Design: Help students write the essays you want.
- Peer Review: Methods and strategies to help students get useful help.
- Teaching and Talking Writing in Your Discipline: Alerting faculty to disciplinary differences in writing and providing strategies on how to incorporate talking about writing even when discussing readings.
- Classroom Activities to Facilitate Writing: Easy activities to incorporate writing and writing awareness in the classroom.
- Writing as Thinking: Teaching students to use a recursive drafting strategy to evolve a thesis and thereby seeing writing as thinking as well as communication.
- Building on the UWS: Understand what students learn in First Year Writing and how to build upon this foundation in your own classroom.
Establish support in your own department for writing: the Writing Center is happy to discuss ways that you can support writing in your own department, perhaps by establishing a Write-in Studio or other writing group.
To make an appointment for a consultation, request a workshop, or to discuss ways to build support for writing in your own department, please contact the Director of University Writing at firstname.lastname@example.org
Requiring your students to visit the Writing Center: We are constantly trying to extend our reach and accommodate as many students as possible across the disciplines. Faculty can help their students by informing them about our services early in the semester. If you make it a requirement for all of your students to make an appointment at the Writing Center, please let us know in advance and we will do our best to accommodate this requirement. In particular, knowing the timing of your assignments is useful for our staffing purposes.
If you have any questions about what services we can provide, please see our commitment statement and FAQ page for students. Feel free to reach out to us at email@example.com for any additional questions.