Law School Timeline
Below please find Hiatt’s suggested timeline for Brandeis students and alumni interested in applying to law school. Please know that these are just suggestions to help you understand the process, and that your own timeline will vary.
Fall of the year before you plan to apply
- Review the Law School Guide and the Nuts & Bolts of a Law School Application Online Workshop, then schedule a meeting with Hiatt’s Pre-Law Advisor.
- If you haven’t already, join the Pre-Law Society.
- Participate in Hiatt’s Shadowing Program to see what a day in the life of a Brandeis alum and law school graduate is like.
- Get to know faculty, keeping letters of recommendation in mind.
- Research schools.
- Register for workshops and panels through B.hired.
- Take a diagnostic LSAT, without preparing anything.
Spring of the year before you plan to apply
- Decide when you will take the LSAT.
- If you decide to take it in June, register for it and start studying (you need AT LEAST 3 months).
- To the extent possible, visit schools you are considering.
- Decide who you will ask for recommendations.
- Obtain a credit report from any of the free agencies and correct any errors
Summer before you plan to apply
- Take the LSAT if you have prepared adequately or register for the fall LSAT.
- If you decide to take the fall LSAT, start studying (you need AT LEAST 3 months)
- Draft your Personal Statement and any optional essays
- Request recommendations from faculty.
- Update and polish your resume.
- If you have not yet requested recommendations, do so now.
- Fine tune your personal statement and other essays.
Late October to late November
- Take the LSAT.
- Attend a Law School Forum (one of LSAC’s or the Brandeis Forum).
- Create a final list of schools to which you will apply.
- Request your transcript from the Office of the Registrar.
- Submit your applications.
Winter of the year you are applying
- It is still possible to take the LSAT and submit applications.
- Prepare your financial aid applications, including filling out the FAFSA.
- Acceptances, wait-lists and rejections start to arrive.
- When you accept an offer from a school, notify all other schools of your decision.
- Attend the “Conquering the First Year of Law School” workshop.