Social Security Number Information
Individuals who have secured paid on-campus employment, PhD fellowships, or paid off-campus employment with OPT or CPT may be eligible for a Social Security Number (SSN).
All U.S. employers require employees to have an SSN. This unique nine digit identification number is issued by the U.S. government and is necessary for getting paid and paying taxes.
Once you obtain your SSN, you must guard it carefully. The Social Security Number is a permanent ID number. Only share your SSN with individuals or organizations whom you believe are trustworthy and have a valid reason for needing your social security number.
We recommend that International Students apply for a SSN 12 days after their initial or most recent entry to the United States in their current status.
If you are seeking a letter of denial for the application of a Massachusetts Learner's Permit/Driver's License/State ID, please go to a Social Security Administration office with your immigration documents and request a denial letter. This can be used in lieu of a SSN for the process of applying for a Learner's Permit or Driver's License.
Obtaining an SSN
To apply for a Social Security Number (SSN), please do the following:
(1) Download and Print an International Student On-Campus Employment Form (for students with on-campus jobs, except Sodexo)
- Section 1 - Student signature
- Section 2 - Brandeis Hiring Supervisor signature
- Section 3 - ISSO signature (drop off during walk-in hours, available for pick-up by the end of the next business day)
(2) Visit the nearest Social Security Administration Office
(3) Fill out the form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification) at Student Financial Services (SFS)
In order to obtain payment for a job on campus or receive your fellowship stipend, you must be able to present original identification to the University that satisfies the requirements of form I-9. Please review the instructions to ensure you bring appropriate identification when completing the form.
Forms for campus jobs should be returned to Student Financial Services.
Students receiving GSAS stipends should bring their completed form I-9 and identification to GSAS in Kutz.
Students receiving Heller stipends should bring their completed form I-9 and identification to Heller.
Students receiving IBS stipends should bring their completed form I-9 and identification to IBS.