Social Security Number Information

All U.S. employers require employees to have a Social Security Number (SSN).  This unique nine digit identification number is issued by the U.S. government and is necessary for getting paid, paying taxes, getting a driver's license, obtaining credit cards and much more.

Once you obtain your SSN, you must guard it carefully.  The Social Security Number is a permanent ID number.  Only share your SSN with individuals or organizations whom you believe are trustworthy and have a valid reason for needing your social security number.

You can find more information about SSNs on the Social Security Administration (SSA) website.

Obtaining an SSN

To apply for a Social Security Number (SSN), please visit the nearest SSA Office located in Waltham.

As of December 16, 2011, the Waltham Social Security Office has moved to a different location:

135 Beaver Street

Waltham, MA 02452

SSA business hours are Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, 9am-3pm and  Wednesday, 9am-12pm.

Be sure to take the following documents with you when you visit the SSA:

  • Valid passport with U.S. Entry visa, and Form I-20 or DS-2019
  • If you have a Paper Form I-94, submit a copy and original of the front and back of the card
  • If you were issued an Electronic Form I-94, print it from and submit it, along with the stamp in your passport
  • Social Security Letter issued by the ISSO
  • One of the following: International Student Employment Form from Student Employment Office (for students with on-campus jobs)/Fellowship Letter for PhD students/Official offer letter (for scholars/researchers)