Policy Coverage

What does the university’s Auto Policy cover?

The university’s Auto Liability Policy provides a $1,000,000 in combined single limit coverage for each occurrence, including legal fees.

Comprehensive coverage for theft, glass breakage and fire loss to the insured vehicle collision (physical damage) coverage is optional and specifically requested for each vehicle.

In addition, this policy will serve as excess liability insurance coverage (in excess of $100,000/$300,000 employee's personal automobile policy) if employee’s regularly uses his/her vehicle on university business and if the employee has received authorization by his/her department manager.

There is a deductible of $1,000 on comprehensive or collision for each occurrence.

Authorized Drivers

How does an employee/student become authorized to operate a university vehicle?

The department manager is responsible for having each person that will be driving for the university complete and submit a Vehicle Use Application and complete the driving training course if applicable and a copy of their valid driver’s license to Public Safety, MS 066. 

The department manager is responsible for having each new person to have the Motor Vehicle Record done by Human Resources. Once approved, the department manager is responsible to provide the authorized driver's information to Jacob Sajinyan in the Office of Risk Management.

Buying, Selling, or Leasing a Vehicle

What if a department wants to buy, sell or lease a vehicle?

The department should contact procurement services at procurement@brandeis.edu for instructions prior to buying, selling or leasing a vehicle. A copy of the new registration must be forwarded to Dennis Finn in facilities, MS 025.

Who holds the title for the vehicle?

The titles for all university-owned vehicles, registered in Massachusetts, are held by the Office of Risk Management. Departments should contact the Office of Risk Management, MS 110, or call 781-736-8318 or FAX 781-736-4421 to arrange for pick up of title for a vehicle that is being sold or traded-in. This should be arranged through Procurement Services.