International Students: If you wish to remain in the U.S. for medical treatment during your leave of absence, please reach out to the ISSO for guidance. You can be authorized for a Reduced Course Load for up to 12 months while maintaining your F-1 status.

Leave of Absence

Any degree-seeking undergraduate student who has been in residence for two semesters, and who has a complete and satisfactory record from the preceding semester, is eligible for a leave of absence. A leave of absence is granted for one or two semesters and may be extended once only. Normally, leaves are arranged in advance through the Office of Academic Services. 

Students planning to study abroad are required to return to Brandeis from a leave of absence for at least one semester prior to studying abroad.

On an exceptional basis, personal leave may be granted for a semester in progress, in which case permission must be secured from the Office of Academic Services no later than the 20th day of instruction. Students are required to inform the Office of Academic Services in writing of their intentions at a specified date prior to the beginning of the term in which they are scheduled to register. Credit will not be granted for academic work taken at other institutions during a leave of absence.

Leave of Absence for Medical Reasons

A student may petition to take a Health Leave of Absence (HLOA) for personal health or family health reasons. Petitions and supporting documentation are submitted to the Office of Academic Services. During a leave of absence for health reasons, students may take two courses (eight credits) per semester for a maximum of four courses (16 credits) and receive numeric course credit. Coursework taken over the maximum may be approved for use towards general University requirements and requirements for the major or minor. Courses must be approved by the Office of the University Registrar prior to enrollment. Course credits may count toward the 128 credits needed for graduation as defined in the academic residency requirement.

Students requesting to return from an HLOA must first seek approval from the Health Leave of Absence Committee, and then petition the Committee on Academic Standing for their approval. Both processes are managed through the Office of Academic Services. The HLOA Committee will evaluate the documentation submitted by a student's health care provider, and determine whether the health condition in question has been adequately alleviated for return to rigorous study. The Committee on Academic Standing will then review the student's overall academic record, their academic progress for the semester in which the student withdrew, and their readiness to successfully make academic progress toward graduation.