Placement Test

Chinese language courses CHIN 10A, 30A, 105A and 120A are generally offered in the fall, and CHIN 20B, 29B, 40B, 105B, 106B, 120B and 140A are generally offered in the spring.

If you have learned Chinese in high school, at home, or stayed in China for a long time, we strongly suggest you take a Chinese language placement test to determine the level at which you should begin your foreign language course work at Brandeis. It is a computer-based, online, real-time (face-to-face communication with a tester both orally and in writing) test covering listening, speaking, reading, and writing. You will need to set up your computer for Chinese input and install Skype software before requesting the test.

Please contact Xiwen Lu, Director and Undergraduate Advising Head of the Chinese Language Program, to request a placement test. Please provide your Brandeis ID, your Skype name, and your available time slots (one hour each). Someone from the Chinese Language Program will contact you as soon as possible to set up your placement test.

SAT II test scores in Chinese do not satisfy the foreign language requirement.

Placement Frequently Asked Questions