Off-Campus Federal Work-Study Job Opportunities

Undergraduate U.S. citizens who have been awarded Federal Work-Study may work at an approved off-campus agency through the Student Employment Program during the academic year. The employer must be a nonprofit agency and must be able to provide proof of 501(c)(3) status. 

The Office of Student Financial Services will provide such job listings when available. Students with FWS are encouraged to seek eligible off-campus jobs in addition to the ones listed here. Such jobs must meet the approval of the Office of Student Financial Services.

OST Educator, Stanley Elementary School (on South St.)
Under the supervision of the Site Director / Program Administrator, and with direction from the Child Development and OST Programming Department, the OST Educator plans and implements classroom curriculum, provides homework assistance, communicates information to families, and maintains a safe, healthy, warm, engaging, and attractive environment. Age-appropriate activities should provide for growth in cognitive skills, self-awareness, peer relationships, and character development. The educator conducts him/herself in a caring, responsible, honest, and respectful manner and is a role model for colleagues, as well as for program participants and families. In addition, he/she ensures focus on programming that promotes healthy living, social responsibility, and youth development with the ultimate goal to position the YMCA of Greater Boston to be the child care program of choice for families and school districts, providing the best in outcomes, staff and level of innovation.
General Responsibilities:
This employee ensures:
  • Group/Program curricula that provide growth in cognitive skills, self-awareness, group relationships, and character development.
  • Ensures adherence to EEC licensing standards, and perpetuates an inclusive culture.
  • Communicates information to parents.
  • Maintains a program environment that is safe, healthy, and engaging.
  • A developmentally sound program for children which provides positive channels to grow, learn and develop to their full potential.
  • A program which meets community needs in a manner consistent with the YMCA mission.
  • Participates in YMCA annual campaign efforts.
  • Must meet EEC Out-of-School Time Educator requirements
  • Must be diligent regarding the pursuit of education
  • Excellent public relations and conflict resolution skills in order to facilitate
  • positive relationships with parents, staff, children, and outside agencies.
  • Commitment to the philosophy and goals of the Y, particularly those identified
  • as outcomes for children participating in YMCA of Greater Boston Early
  • Education and OST Programs.
  • Responsibilities:
  • Keeps safety of children as first priority; emphasizes personal safety and emotional well-being with the children, parents, and early education staff.
  • Uses positive and constructive methods of child guidance, while ensuring that all staff does the same.
  • Adheres to the rules, regulations and procedures set forth by the YMCA of Greater Boston, the branch location, and the Department of Early Education and Care, as applicable.
  • Ensures supervision of children and management of smooth transitions to promote safety and appropriate behavior.
  • Works with the Site Director in the design of the program space and maintain facility and supplies at all times.
  • Assists the Site Director with relevant assessments on a variety of levels throughout the year by means of progress reports, parent surveys, and program self-assessment.
  • Provides children with a well-balanced curriculum of specific, planned learning experiences that support their social, emotional, physical, cognitive, and language development.
  • Utilizes a curriculum which is developmentally and linguistically appropriate; provides for the development, interests and temperaments of individual children; supports school day learning and educational development; and includes goals for the knowledge and skills to be acquired by children in various areas of learning.
  • Assumes accountability for all children assigned to his/her group and connects daily with parents/guardians.
  • Maintains accurate attendance, evaluations, and proper reporting as required.
  • Performs other duties as requested by supervisor or branch executive.

Effect on End Results:
Effectiveness is measured by -
1. A warm, engaging environment for children, staff and families which meet quality standards and EEC licensing requirements.
2. A developmentally sound program for children which provides positive channels to grow, learn and develop to their full potential.
3. A program which meets the community needs, in a manner consistent with the YMCA mission.

YMCA Competencies (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values; demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs; recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them; supports fund-raising.

Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions; builds rapport and relates well to others; seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations; listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively; takes initiative to assist in developing others.

Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another; embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience; establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings; follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately; strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.

Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance; demonstrates an openness to change and seeks opportunities in the change process; accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships; has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.

I am looking specifically for a few people for my before school program, M-F 7:15am-8:30am

Please email Christine at

Improbable Players - Outreach Coordinator

About your Organization/Program:

Organization Mission: To set the stage for prevention by educating the public about addiction and recovery through dramatic performances and theater workshops -presented by actors who are in long-term recovery from addictions -  that help people recognize situations in their own lives and seek the help they need.

Program Description: Improbable Players uses theater performances & workshops to address addiction, alcoholism, and the opioid epidemic. Our performances are 25-45 minute plays followed by a talkback and Q&A. These plays are based on true stories, and our actors are people in recovery. Our workshops give attendees the space and tools to combat social pressures and find coping strategies that work for them.   We perform at middle schools, high schools, and colleges in the Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, and surrounding areas. We've also performed at conferences, treatment centers, and community events across the country.


Student Job Title: Outreach Coordinator

 Position Description:

The Improbable Players is seeking a driven individual to help bring our outreach efforts to the next level. We're a small scrappy non-profit educational theater company. This is an excellent opportunity to make a real impact both at our company and in society more broadly as we fight to do our part in combating addiction.

Specific Duties: Typically we market through email and direct mail. This job will entail enhancing both our analogue and digital marketing strategies, developing our messaging, and growing the Improbable Players family. You will be in direct contact with schools, colleges, and communities to book our innovative programs.

 Support / Supervision: Supervised by Co-directors Andy Short and Chris Everett.


Desired Qualifications:

-works well with processes, detail oriented
-is consistent and shows grit in their movement towards a goal.
-can seek out opportunities to expand the profile and reach of the Players
-strong writing ability
-interest in applied theater and/or addiction prevention
-a firm grasp of social media formats and how to use them to reach out
-can devise and execute a regular social media strategy
-SEO knowledge a plus

 Student Work Schedule:

Days of the week:

                        __x__ Flexible depending on the student’s availability

Hours per week: 8-10 hr/week

___x_ 8-10 hr/wk

What time of day should hours be worked?

Workday hours preferred (somewhere between 9am-5pm)

Application Instructions:

  • What documents should a  student submit?: Cover letter, resume.
  • To whom should MassArt students submit their application materials?  Andy Short, co-director,