For More Information
Undergraduate Advising Head:
• May - August, Cheryl Nalbach
• September - April, Sarah Mead
Music Major Track Advisors:
History Track Advisor, Seth Coluzzi
Composition Track Advisor, David Rakowski
Cultural Studies Advisor, Judith Eissenberg
Performance Track Advisor, Daniel Stepner
Musical Theater Performance Track Advisor, Daniel Stepner
Major & Minor
For undergraduates, we offer a Bachelor of Arts degree with a broad-based major or minor in music that combines the study of history, theory, composition and performance. The undergraduate major provides a comprehensive music program that does not limit the student's career choice and options.
The core program consists of the study of the theory (with associated labs that provide further training in the musicianship skills necessary for all musical endeavors) and history of Western music. Students may, if they wish, opt for additional study in one of the following 5 specialized areas (tracks) within the music major, or work with a faculty adviser to propose an alternate program in accordance with their own interests.
- Composition: The track in composition develops skills in composition and analysis through courses in composition selected in consultation with the faculty advisor.
- Cultural Studies: The track in cultural studies encourages students to develop an understanding of music of various traditions in their cultural and social contexts. Students in this interdisciplinary track select courses in cultural studies from offerings in the schools of creative arts, social sciences and humanities.
- History: The track in history allows students to focus on the place of music in history through elective courses on historical topics chosen in consultation with the faculty advisor. Students are encouraged to select these courses from related disciplines to focus on a particular time or place.
- Performance: The track in performance, open to highly qualified students by audition, develops skill in performance through private study as well as through elective courses selected in consultation with the faculty advisor. Students also present junior and senior recitals.
- Musical Theater Performance: The track in musical theater performance, open to qualified students by audition, allows students with an interest in musical theater to pursue that dream. In addition to taking courses in the music department, musical theater students are encouraged to participate in musicals produced by the Theater Arts Department and to enroll in a mix of music and theater electives. Students also present junior and senior recitals.
The undergraduate minor consists of six semester courses: one year of theory (with associated musicianship lab), two courses in music history and any additional upper-level departmental course.
To be eligible for honors in music, candidates must demonstrate superior ability through their overall record and a capacity for independent thought beyond the limits of their course programs, such as a written thesis, an approved project in composition or a senior recital.
For more information on the goals of the major, go here